A few questions. help much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie_boy

5 Year Member
Hi there,

My girlfirend is very keen on getting a tortoise and has been for a while. i am thinking of getting her one for her birthday. i'm really keen on them but never had one before. i just need some help though..!!

1. we are having a baby next month so i was wondering if there are any dangers of having a tortoise around a newborn baby. i know obviously not to let the tortoise actually near the baby but in terms of hygeine would it not be recommended having a tortoise. just worries as little things like kitty litter is bad for pregnant women/newborns.

2. what would i need to get exactly to care and look after the tortoise.

3. the only place i am aware of getting a tortoise from in my area is Pets at Home which i am a bit uncertain about as you hear things about buying pets from large pet shops and i never know if it is a good idea? if you know anywhere around Milton Keynes Buckinghamshire i would be interested to know.

any help to any of there questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed.

naomij

5 Year Member
okay, we recently got ours from pets at home shop, and they gave us so much conflicting advice!! the food was almost all wrong for starters, they told us salad and fruit and thats what they eat in the shop!!
secondly they advice glass vivs and have even bought a new glass tortoise starter box out with everything inc
we bought a wooden viv sadly ( waste of money) but have adapted it so much it is no longer one!! no glass, low wooden rims now in place etc etc

for early days use a large guienea pig cage , we use this for its outside house until hes big enough for the garden

i have learnt alot from the repitle forum in the uk and on here, aprt from that my tort is in good health and is lovely,

eddie_boy

5 Year Member
thanks for that. well i suppose as long as the tort itself is ok then i might risk getting it from there. are they suitable to keep inside the majority of the time and put them outside for excersice on a regular basis. i was thinking of getting a hermann's tort...

naomij

5 Year Member
we will keep ours in until next summer then the plan is to redo our garden , pen it, put its house and lamp out there, etc etc-
he willof course and does, go out daily for an hour, this time will extend as our weather gets better i will say, but he is far too small for my liking to be out out, tho many do, but to me he is still a baby and will live inside for another year or so .

eddie_boy

5 Year Member
o right. i only ask as might be moving in to a flat but only for 6 months or so but there will be grass for him/her to go outside on a daily basis just not to live out there.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hi eddie_boy, Congratulation on your new baby (human). Torts are fine to have around newborns and pregnant moms to be. Just follow good handwashing techniques. Torts should have time outside. Please be aware though that placing them on grass or ground that has been treated with pestisides or chemicals can be harmful to them. I am in the USA but I know there are places in the UK that has torts. one of the forums there is www.Shelledwarrriors.com and I believe they also have torts and equipment for sale. I also use a rabbit cage for my hatchlings so that they can spend time outside and not have birds of pray or cats hindering them.

eddie_boy

5 Year Member
Hi Crazy1, thank you very much for the info. that was one of my main worries and i am so pleased with the answer...now i can get a tort! i will check out shelledwariors.com later or tomorrow when i have a bit more time, thank you for the link. Everyone is so helpful here!!

thanks again,

Ed.

naomij

5 Year Member
buy your weeds from her, i am growing mine in topsoil in big tubs until we sort the pen out for taylor.

her = shell warriors

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
eddie_boy, I hear in the UK they are known for the greek, herman and russian torts. If you do not want the difficulty of raising two babys at the same time, you may want to concider an older tort. If not an adult perhaps a sub adult. They are much easier and less sensitive in there raising (IMHO). As Laura suggested you may want to chedk with rescues in your area or post a request for an adoption on here (Stating your are in the UK) and the forums in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.