21 days of 'no' eating

Kateofsometrades

Location (City and/or State)
Denver Colorado
I'm back! Because Dill has still not done any obvious eating. (I have owned him for a whopping 21 days.) He was with a student for a week while I was out of town and she said that he was pooping a lot, which, logically, would mean that he is eating. Since I have gotten him back into my classroom (2 days ago) I have not seen any of his food touched. I soaked him today and he really seemed to enjoy that, but no poop. I have tried a fresh mixed greens tortoise mix from a reptile store, i have planted hen and chicks in his enclosure, and have tried cactus. I am worrying, but he is alert, moves around, interacts with me (which SLAYS me) and doesn't appear to be sick. Any other unique foods I should try? Could he be a picky eater?

I also wonder if the classroom is the best place for him to be. Maybe it is too loud and active?

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have never been a fan of classroom tortoises. I don't think you can provide what the tortoise needs in a classroom. Do they turn off the electricity over the week-end? Does the air conditioning go off after hours? etc.

The most common reason for a tortoise to not eat is because he isn't warm enough. They have to be able to get their inner core temperature up to at least 80F degrees, and warmer is better, in order to digest their food. If they can't do that, they don't eat. If they eat when their inner core isn't warm enough, the food sits there and rots.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Plus the moving from home to home, stresses them out. But heat plays a big part in their eating habits.

Kateofsometrades

Denver Colorado
The enclosure is holding steady at 80 degrees. Yvonne, you mentioned in an earlier post that I wrote that maybe his enclosure is too warm. ??? (see: patience is a virtue?)

I do NOT like having to move him around. It's our reality to an extent....until we move into a bigger place he fits best in the classroom.

This is distressing. Poor Dill.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Your tort needs a basking spot that reaches 95 degrees and the cool end of your enclosure should be 75 degrees daytime and can drop down to 65 at night. Your lights should be on 12 to 14 hours per day. On warm days it would be good for your tort to get some time in a partially shaded/sunlit area.

You should have an area that he can retreat into to avoid spectators.

You need a temperature gun to determine your various temperatures; I also use a recording digital thermometer and humidity guage to tell me what the highs and lows have been while I'm not home.

Good luck.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And just to clarify; the enclosure temps should have the range that WillTort2 mentions. 80f refers to the 'inner core' temp of the tortoise. They need a much warmer basking area (95f) to achieve this, but also a cool side so they can move back and forth to self regulate.

Soak him daily for a week then 2-3 x per week. Make sure he has access to water.

We don't know much about his enclosure, lighting, substrate, etc., but temps and hydration seem to be most important.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The enclosure is holding steady at 80 degrees. Yvonne, you mentioned in an earlier post that I wrote that maybe his enclosure is too warm. ??? (see: patience is a virtue?)

I do NOT like having to move him around. It's our reality to an extent....until we move into a bigger place he fits best in the classroom.

This is distressing. Poor Dill.

I would imagine that Dill does not agree and if telling you so by his behavior. I am not of the group that believes a tortoise belongs in a loud/busy classroom....just not the right type of personality/make up to be there...again, my belief.

Kateofsometrades

Denver Colorado
Thanks all! I have added another lamp so that he can bask at a warmer temperature. I will be monitoring that throughout the day to make sure that it is working for him. He has plenty of water, but I will be soaking him daily this week. Also, he has some new foods to try, so we will see. I will also be moving him out of the classroom in about 2 weeks. I wish I could do it sooner, but it is what it is. (Sorry students! We still have class plants! haha!) I won't be giving up on this amazing animal!

I appreciate all of the advice that I have received since joining this forum. A million thanks!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Make sure that you have a cool end of the enclosure. You only need to raise the basking end to the 95 degrees; the cool end should be 75 degrees or less.

Kateofsometrades

Denver Colorado
I got it! Finally, his enclosure is at the appropriate temperatures. He is staying closer to the warmer side, and sleeping quite a bit. (I have caught him yawning several times. TOO CUTE.) I have been soaking him daily and he had 2 good poops 2 days ago. Still no apparent eating though!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Great to see that you're getting a handle on things. Soon you'll be giving out your own advice based on this experience. I'm very impressed that you care so much about this animal.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
As far a favorite foods, dandelions would top the list for my Russians followed by radicchio, Belgian endive, and romaine lettuce. Always remember in summer a good wild weed and leaf assortment is most healthy. Mulberry tree leaves and grape vine leaves are 2 of my torts summer favorites.

In any season variety is the key to a healthy diet.

Good luck.