Watery eyes and snot bubbles

Yoda_the_redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a red foot tortoise he is about 5 month old right now. Pretty much since I got him which was almost 3 months ago he has had watery eyes and some snot bubbles. When I first saw this I immediately thought it was a respiratory induction so I brought him back and asked for help, this girl checked him and said that he was perfectly healthy and that the humidity and temp was just low. How ever even now 3 months later he still has the same problems it is a lot better now but still there. Humidity is at a constant 84-90 percent, and temp under hot spot is about 90 degrees and on the cooler side it is around 82-85 degrees. I don’t think it is a respiratory infection as he eats daily is very active, and also poops daily no signs that he is sick. Please can someone help me figure out what the problems is and how to fix it. You can’t see it in the pictures as it is not all the time

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9844.jpeg
    IMG_9844.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9712.jpeg
    IMG_9712.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you housing the tortoise in an indoor closed chamber enclosure?
What are you using to heat it?
What is the over night low temperature when the lights are off?

Yoda_the_redfoot

Florida
Yes he is in a closed chamber inside. I’m using a 100 watt fluker basking bulb. Once the lights turn off the temperature does not drop anything below 75, when I do check at night it hovers around 78 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes he is in a closed chamber inside. I’m using a 100 watt fluker basking bulb. Once the lights turn off the temperature does not drop anything below 75, when I do check at night it hovers around 78 degrees
It should never drop below 80-82 at night for a healthy tortoise. You need a CHE hooked up to a thermostat to maintain ambient temp higher. I would set it to 84 for awhile and not drop it to 82ish until two weeks after all symptoms disappear. I'd use one of the thermostat that allows you to program in a night drop. I'd go for 88 during the day and 84 at night. A little lower than that is okay once the symptoms disappear, but keep it over 80 at night all the time. As adults, they can tolerate lower temps in your climate when they live outside, but it is still a good idea to provide a heated shelter for winter nights.

RF don't need a basking lamp. You can do away with that if you want to.

@ZEROPILOT Please verify that I have this all correct for a RF in FL showing RI symptoms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no way of controlling the temp at night. Am I supposed to just keep the light on or get a night lamp?
You need a CHE, or two, (ceramic heating element) hooked up to a thermostat. Alternatively, a RHP (radiant heat panel) will work even better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It should never drop below 80-82 at night for a healthy tortoise. You need a CHE hooked up to a thermostat to maintain ambient temp higher. I would set it to 84 for awhile and not drop it to 82ish until two weeks after all symptoms disappear. I'd use one of the thermostat that allows you to program in a night drop. I'd go for 88 during the day and 84 at night. A little lower than that is okay once the symptoms disappear, but keep it over 80 at night all the time. As adults, they can tolerate lower temps in your climate when they live outside, but it is still a good idea to provide a heated shelter for winter nights.

RF don't need a basking lamp. You can do away with that if you want to.

@ZEROPILOT Please verify that I have this all correct for a RF in FL showing RI symptoms.
It sounds correct. All of it.