I hate Projects that turn into larger projects!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
As we get closer to finishing my home to be ready to list it, the kitchen drain backs up....of course.

Kinda handy that I'm a Plumber by trade so at least I don't need to hire anyone. OK, get 3 sizes of snakes, one of them electric from my shop and Kerry and I head over to the house Friday night. Saturday morning while Kerry is painting, I've got to pull the drain to snake it out. Of course the Disposal tube is in the way so it needs to disconnect and roll out of the way. First step is to remove the 2-bolt flange from the disposal and this is where it ran off the rails...........Bolt #1 comes right out, bolt # 2 snaps off with the slightest pressure...............uh oh.

The kitchen sink is a 2 bowl with the disposal on one side of course......hmmmm, that disposal has to go home to my shop for Bolt removal now.....and I need to run the dishwasher AFTER I get the drain cleared.

Hmmmm, go outside and get my thoughts in order.....

I Snaked the drain with the small handcrank snake and it worked welll, I reconnected one sink bowl to the trap and ran the dishwasher hose into a 5 agallon bucket that I poured into the drain at each cycle. I told Kerry that it was like we were camping! LOL

The disposal came home and when I tried to remove the broken bolt, it broke my hardened stell extractor...so I threw the disposal away....perfectly good Badger 900 3/4HP stainless disposal rendered junk.....dang it. New one will show up there this morning at the house before I even get there....got to love tech.....but I hate when projects GROW!!

This went from a simple drain job to repiping the waste piping under the sink, then furnishing and installing a new disposal.....YUK!

rant over, thanks for your patience....LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are the worst kind of projects. Some in the past, I had put off doing because I knew it was probably going to be like opening a can of worms, ugh.
It's nice when they don't though.