Box Turtle Shell Help**

mmilazzo

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello! I’ve been a member of this forum for months, but have only just now come into ownership of a box turtle. I’m not sure what the previous owner had going on as far as care but I’m very concerned about this turtles shell. I got her from a friend of a friend who was moving and couldn’t take her. I’m taking plenty of pictures that reflect the uneven texture of her shell and even an area where it seems bone might be appearing? There’s also peeling on the underside. I would like to know what this is due to, the severity of it, how I can correct it as fast as possible, and anything else worth mentioning of it. Thanks in advance! Looking forward to loving this sweetie and getting her to a place where she’s thriving and happy. My daughter has dubbed her “Cutie”

Side note, she’s temporarily in a 40 breeder while we near our move, the only question I have in regard to temporary indoor enclosures would be the UVB/ Heating situation. What kind of wattage for the bulbs or if you could just even link your favorites that would be amazing!! She does get supervised time outdoors We live in Texas and this summer has been dry and extremely hot. I worry about having her outside all day after we move Tips?IMG_8148.jpegIMG_8146.jpegIMG_8145.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not a box turtle, it's a water turtle. Shell condition is probably due to the fact it should be living in a pond.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On second thought, it may be a Central American ornate wood turtle - semi aquatic.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Any advice on shell condition?
Was it bleeding or does it look like it might have rubbed on a rough surface? It's hard to see from the picture