What happened?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I also vote to double check that the lights aren't too close to the carapace. Are you using a ceramic heat emitter by chance?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I had a similar issue when Vlad was younger and we were using a CHE:

Removed the CHE and replaced with a Kane heat mat / Radiant Heat Panel combination and it seemed to help.

Here's another example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-shell-issue.192090

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I had a similar issue when Vlad was younger and we were using a CHE:

Removed the CHE and replaced with a Kane heat mat / Radiant Heat Panel combination and it seemed to help.

Here's another example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-shell-issue.192090
But it was there before I got the CHE. And I just thought it was normal but over time it grew so I made this thread.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A little device that might help you keep an extra eye on temps would be a little Helect Temp gun. I bought one for under $20 on Amazon. Even if your Tortoise is just fine and doing well since you have electronic devices running... it pays to have something to do a double check on them. Lamps for Tortoises are notorious for bad behavior🤗.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I make sure to spray the top of my tortoise’s shell lightly throughout the day to ensure it doesn’t become dry, especially since he’s finally hitting good growth. This also helps maintain ambient humidity if I recall. Applying coconut oil where the new growth is after a soak helps trap moisture and aids in keeping the new, sensitive growth moisturised. Using coconut oil isn’t necessary, but it can help if you’re ever up for trying it.

If you need to alter your methods of heating, these are steps you can take to battle shell dryness. Alongside regular soaks whilst your tortoise is small. I can’t give any opinions on the heating elements.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I make sure to spray the top of my tortoise’s shell lightly throughout the day to ensure it doesn’t become dry, especially since he’s finally hitting good growth. This also helps maintain ambient humidity if I recall. Applying coconut oil where the new growth is after a soak helps trap moisture and aids in keeping the new, sensitive growth moisturised. Using coconut oil isn’t necessary, but it can help if you’re ever up for trying it.

If you need to alter your methods of heating, these are steps you can take to battle shell dryness. Alongside regular soaks whilst your tortoise is small. I can’t give any opinions on the heating elements.
Thanks for the tip.