What happened?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
What is wrong with my tortoises shell?it was a little at first but then it spread and I'm rather worried. The white lines are what I'm talking about. There is nothing in his cage he would scratch it on so idk.20220418_114110.jpg

Attachments

• 20220418_114218.jpg
    20220418_114218.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 5

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Whenever I see that particular area with suspicious-looking new growth I suspect a light hanging too close to the tortoise's back, burning the new growth.
Wow. What do you mean by particular area? I'm sorry to interrupt.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The top of the carapace
It's not showing that on my phone so I didn't see the dryness. It's hard to see by pictures for me sometimes because I'm on a phone. I thought it might be showing by where the white lines are.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm also on a phone but I blow the pics up as big as i can before they go blurry. I don't see dryness but it my just be yours is clearer.
I zoomed too but maybe Thomas the Tortoise can look and see clearest. If those parts are as creamy looking as the rest of the shell then okay. Keep them that way. If not be careful with the lights. Either way be careful with the lights.🤗 like Yavonne said 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I thought that is what everyone said was normal... the white growth lines...?
Just look closely and see if the growth lines are as nice and creamy as the rest of the shell. Growth lines are normal but the lights might need to be adjusted like Yavonne said. Growth lines are more delicate and can burn easier. Are you seeing any places that look dried? We are trying to see on a picture just to help make sure for sure your little one is doing good.🤗