Tortoise lighting questions

Jenkins42110

5 Year Member
I am planing to make a closed chamber tortoise table. I have been looking around for lighting and i have not been able to find a straight answer so here i am. i would like to know if i can put a 10.0 uvb bulb and a normal florescent tube light in a normal shop light (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...-Fluorescent-1242ZG-RE/202052422?N=5yc1vZc7bu) And what would you recommend to heat a 6x4x2 tortoise table. And i know its not about lighting but cool or warm mist humidifier?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The ReptiSun UVB florescent tubes come in 18 inch lengths. I have a 5.0 ReptiSun in an 18" Walmart fixture. You won't need any more lights if it's a Red foot.....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The only thing to check for is if you buy a high output (ho) bulb you will need a ho fixture.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If it's a tortoise I recommend a HO bulb. Any HO fixture that has the same watts as your bulb will work.

A humidifier will not be needed I'm a closed chamber. That's the beauty of a closed chamber. A humidifier will make it soggy in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am planing to make a closed chamber tortoise table. I have been looking around for lighting and i have not been able to find a straight answer so here i am. i would like to know if i can put a 10.0 uvb bulb and a normal florescent tube light in a normal shop light (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...-Fluorescent-1242ZG-RE/202052422?N=5yc1vZc7bu) And what would you recommend to heat a 6x4x2 tortoise table. And i know its not about lighting but cool or warm mist humidifier?

You will have to check the wattage on your fixture and bulb. If the two wattages match, then the fixture will work.

An open table? Using a humidifier in that would be like using an electric space heater to heat your back yard. Make it a closed chamber and you won't need a humidifier, and it will be very easy to heat and light.