Outside tortoise heated area

beccabobbins

5 Year Member
Hello,
I have a 20 year old (ish) Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise named Mr.T. He currently has a large tortoise table on wheels which I can wheel outside on warm days or leave indoors on cooler days.
I'd like to make Mr.T an outdoor tortoise so he can choose when he wants to be in/out. I have a large courtyard area which I plan on converting into a tortoise zone! I can put a little shed next to the house and drill through to supply electricity. What would be the best material for a shed? I thought about buying a wooden chicken coop or building a shed from breeze blocks. What sort of heating is best? I guess I'd need a thermostat too. I also thought I'd get a separate cold frame. I have a blank canvas and I'd really appreciate any advice on getting the ideal setup. I am in the southwest, UK.

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
Depending on your building ambitions, there are few options:
1. Probably, the easiest option: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
2. This one requires more efforts, but provides better insulation and highlights better heating options. This could be an overkill, as you likely brumate (hibernate) your tortoise in the winter:
3. Large conservatory/greenhouse type outdoor pens. They can provide outdoor experience almost all year round, but perhaps an overkill for brumating species. I'll provide the link just in case: https://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,
I have a 20 year old (ish) Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise named Mr.T. He currently has a large tortoise table on wheels which I can wheel outside on warm days or leave indoors on cooler days.
I'd like to make Mr.T an outdoor tortoise so he can choose when he wants to be in/out. I have a large courtyard area which I plan on converting into a tortoise zone! I can put a little shed next to the house and drill through to supply electricity. What would be the best material for a shed? I thought about buying a wooden chicken coop or building a shed from breeze blocks. What sort of heating is best? I guess I'd need a thermostat too. I also thought I'd get a separate cold frame. I have a blank canvas and I'd really appreciate any advice on getting the ideal setup. I am in the southwest, UK.
In this thread I explain and show pictures of how best to accomplish this:

Lots of good info for you there, but if you scroll down to the part about outdoor housing for adults, you'll find the answers you are looking for.