More Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
I got one 1 year old Russian tortoise in a 100cm(length) x 55cm(width) x 20cm(sides) was wandering If it is possible to get 1 or 2 more FEMALE Russians in with him? Would it be fine, would I get adults or same age?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Uh, you might want to measure again. 100cm is about 39"! It is extremely difficult to keep male and female Russian tortoises together because males of the species are usually extremely aggressive toward females and other males. It's better for all tortoises involved if you keep the genders separately and males individually unless you plan to house them in a very large outdoor enclosure several square feet in size.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
A 39" long enclosure/container seems possible to possess to me.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Oops! My mistake, for some reason I was thinking tortoise size, not enclosure size! Regardless, that is definitely to small of an enclosure for three, or even two adult Russians. Babies yes, adults no.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it is too small for one adult russian. If he stays outside most of the day and only sleeps in there at night its fine, but to actually LIVE in something that size is not okay with me. Adding more would be totally out of the question for me. My hatchling russians are living in indoor 182cm x 46cm and 152cm x 46cm enclosures and spending the days in 4x8' outdoor enclosures. In the spring they will permanently move outdoors to 13x28' enclosures.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Well mine is only a little baby about 6 cm length, I am upgrading when he becomes big dw

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That size is fine for a 6 cm tortoise.

How do you know its male at 6 cm?

skmackley2

5 Year Member
He is a bit bigger than 6cm, but his :tail,shell curved,the end of the shell where the legs and tail is joined.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
At 6cm it is still way too early to tell if it's male or female. You can't really tell until an RT is about 4.5" - 5" long (about 13cm). :)

I agree with what was said above - Russians are very territorial, and even as babies, they may end up bullying each other. The tort at the bottom of the pecking order would likely become withdrawn and stop eating eventually...

skmackley2 said:
He is a bit bigger than 6cm, but his :tail,shell curved,the end of the shell where the legs and tail is joined.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Oh my, my Russian has grown! he is now 3.5 inch! What's this thing about territorial?

biochemnerd808 said:
At 6cm it is still way too early to tell if it's male or female. You can't really tell until an RT is about 4.5" - 5" long (about 13cm). :)

I agree with what was said above - Russians are very territorial, and even as babies, they may end up bullying each other. The tort at the bottom of the pecking order would likely become withdrawn and stop eating eventually...

skmackley2 said:

That post isn't posted anywhere on this thread......? Pecking order is for chickens! I'm not keeping 2 torts in a little enclosure!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
They do not like other tortoises inside their enlcosure. If you introduce another tortoise, they'll constantly try to protect their territory from the intruder. This equals stress for all of them, but mostly for the loser.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
But if I had a large enclosure would this work? 1 male and 2 females?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
If you have a very large. well structured enclosure it MIGHT work, but it doesn't have to. Often the male still needs to be kept apart from the females.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
skmackley2 said:
But if I had a large enclosure would this work? 1 male and 2 females?

The only answer is maybe. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Anyone who owns multiple tortoises, especially something as scrappy as a russian, needs to be prepared with extra enclosures on hand and ready should hostilities and combat break out. An entire back yard and 15 females doesn't guarantee peace. And don't forget, sometimes the females will fight too.

A larger enclosure and correct sex ratio does improve your chances, but you still need to proceed with caution and have a back up plan. You also have to have animals old enough to sex.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I agree, you need large enclosures with multiple hides and sight line breaks. You need a separate back up enclosure to separate as needed. Often, breeders only introduce the male for short intervals of time for mating to occur. Have a vet that you can go to if the aggression causes harm. You should know a vet that is qualified to deal with tortoises prior to introducing a new one, and you should have them perform a fecal exam, especially if the tort may be wild caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.