Lazy tort

froggyraine

My tortoise is very lazy and always has been since been a hatchling. On a morning I bath him and feed him. but on the odd day I don't bath him, which is very rare he doesn't venture out of his hide, he will happily just sleep. Anyone else find this problem ?

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
I have five tortoises of the same species. One if them is super lazy. It moves pretty much only as much as it needs to, to eat drink and thermoregulate. She is perfectly healthy and growing at a good clip.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
My guy is a hatchling, so I think it's expected that they spend most of the day sleeping. I'm not sure I'd call him lazy, though--maybe vigilant. He likes to post himself behind various plants in his enclosure and watch me (I like to sit near his enclosure and read and see what he's up to). He waits until I'm not looking to trek over to other plants and watch me from different angles. He moves maybe once an hour or so. I think we're both getting used to each other. He doesn't seem afraid of me, though: if I put my hand in and I have food, he comes for it.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
My russian spends multiple days where she just basks for a couple of hours and then goes back into her hide without touching the food. The next weeks she'll eat more than normal. I just let her be, figure she is just not hungry sometimes

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Small tortoises are prey animals.
They spend a lot of time hiding and sleeping to avoid being eaten.
As they get bigger and more confident they start to become gradually more outgoing.
But some are naturally more shy than others.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy's light comes on at 7:am and he is out and about by 7:15 checking out whats for breakfast and stuff I guess. He is a yearling though , and I would guess the age makes the difference ? :)