Kayaking into DC via the Anacostia River

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Enjoyed Veteran's Day holiday with a kayaking trip into the District from Maryland.

Here are just two shots:

image.jpg

Paddling south on the Anacostia River, from MD into DC

image.jpg

Anacostia River as we paddle under the metro rail line as it travels into downtown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of being in water. I guess one might even say I'm afraid of it. I don't know how to swim, hate water splashed in my face. So in that vein, you're going to think I'm crazy when I tell you what I'm thinking - there's a commercial on TV now that shows a crew paddling a river and the guy doing all the talking is in a kayak. He's an older guy and he's just leisurely paddling along and talking to us. The water is smooth. It just looks so peaceful and easy, that every time I see the commercial I think, "I'd really like to do that."

Your trip looks very peaceful too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yvonne learn to swim its not hard . then go on a boat ride its fun . If I lived closer I'd teach you then take you on a boat ride .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, it's not that bad. When my husband was alive we had several boats, including a small cabin cruiser, a bass boat and an aluminum boat. I've been plenty of times (he was an avid fisherman). I really can't say I ever enjoyed it. But then, a young mother with three kids only a couple months apart, what's to enjoy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just finished reading a murder mystery where the hero was a kayaker. They describe in great detail all the paraphernalia required...some sort of skirt that keeps the water out of the cockpit, etc. How stable is the kayak? Pretty tippable?

AnimalLady

I remember kayaking in PA once. I dont know where we were, but im pretty sure it was a lake or maybe a creek, hmmm, I was about 12 or 13 at the time. My cousin tipped my kayak and I went in the water, i was so scared. Thats what I remember from that trip, being PETRIFIED FOR MY LIFE. I thought something from the bottom was going to take me down and eat me. I was 12 people!

Your photos look nothing like my memory of the kayak, Gorgeous pix!