Hydration!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
Hello all! Warm days came earlier in Greece! Please advices to keep them hydrated both! I take them with me out in my yard from 9 until 11 in the morning since the sun isn't so strong these hours! My problem is that they don't drink water from their bowls! So how many times per week can I feed them lamp lettuce,lettuce,cucumber or zucchini? I also give them soaks 3-4 times per week for 40 minutes! I always wet their food and I drop water on their shell when they move around at my yard! My Danny just getting a little better and can lift a bit his shell! I will go for x-ray to see that rocks again! Their poop still is good in colour and they poop easily!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I'm happy to know, that Danny is getting better!
To help them stay hydrated you can do shorter soaks just right after the walk (5-10 minutes), so they simply drink a bit while soaking.

You can offer cucumber and lettuces when they are outside, after "normal" morning feeding. See no problem in offering it everyday as long as they get varied diet.

Many tortoises don't drink from the bowl if they can't get into it - so a larger shallow saucer or tray could work. My tortoise walks through the saucer and takes a sip on the go, sometimes just lay there and drinks from time to time. Same for the outside.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Hello!
To help them stay hydrated you can do shorter soaks just right after the walk (5-10 minutes), so they simply drink a bit while soaking.

You can offer cucumber and lettuces when they are outside, after "normal" morning feeding. See no problem in offering it everyday as long as they get varied diet.

Many tortoises don't drink from the bowl if they can't get into it - so a larger shallow saucer or tray could work. My tortoise walks through the saucer and takes a sip on the go, sometimes just lay there and drinks from time to time. Same for the outside.
Hello!

Thank you! That's why I keep them more for soaks! I read all the time that cucumber is a fruit! Lamp lettuce is safe to feed and it has water also i read! My Danny stills walk with difficulty but I help him a little bit to give him a little bit power on his legs!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you! That's why I keep them more for soaks! I read all the time that cucumber is a fruit! Lamp lettuce is safe to feed and it has water also i read! My Danny stills walk with difficulty but I help him a little bit to give him a little bit power on his legs!
Lamb's lettuce is a better food, that's true. Cucumber can be a fruit (in the same sense, that tomato and watermelon are berries), but as I understand it's low on sugars so it is safe to feed. Lettuces like iceberg, radicchio, romaine, frisee are good for hydration. Iceberg has the least nutritional value, but higher water content.

I wish Danny to get well soon and to walk more and more on his own.