Help with outdoor enclosure and different species (Marginata and Hermanni)

merape80

Location (City and/or State)
Barcelona - España
Hello,

I have 3 turtles, 2 Marginatas and 1 Hermanni, they are 6 years old. As babies, I had the 3 together because they told me that they were compatible species. Then I separated them by species when the marginalized began to grow. Always in the terrarium. Now the marginalized are very large and I am building an outdoor enclosure so that they are better in a large place and similar to their natural habitat.

However, I have read that it is bad to have a partner together, that it is better to be alone or in a group. What do I do? I'll put the 3 together again, I'll put them as before 2 and 1, or the 3 separately making 3 enclosures???

I'm sorry if something isn't understood, I'm writing with a translator.

Hola,
Tengo 3 tortugas, 2 Marginatas y 1 Hermanni, tienen 6 años. De bebés las tenía las 3 juntas porque me dijeron que eran especies compatibles. Después las separé por especies al empezar a crecer las marginatas. Siempre en terrario. Ahora las marginatas están muy grandes y estoy construyendo un recinto exterior para que estén mejor en un sitio grande y parecido a su hábitat natural.
Sin embargo he leído que es malo tener una pareja junta, que mejor solas o en grupo. Que hago?? Vuelvo a juntarlas las 3, las pongo como hasta ahora 2 y 1, o las 3 por separado haciendo 3 recintos???
Siento si algo no se entiende, estoy escribiendo con un traductor.

Attachments

• IMG_6161.jpeg
    IMG_6161.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6170.jpeg
    IMG_6170.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6169.jpeg
    IMG_6169.jpeg
    760.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never mix species. You will need to build each one its own enclosure.
Those boxes you have them in are way too small and pellets is not an okay substrate and neither is bought soil
How old are they?
Please read their caresheet on this forum.

merape80

Barcelona - España
Never mix species. You will need to build each one its own enclosure.
Those boxes you have them in are way too small and pellets is not an okay substrate and neither is bought soil
How old are they?
Please read their caresheet on this forum.
Thank you. I know, that's why we are now building the enclosures. But do I have to do 3 or only 2? Can the two outcasts continue together or should I separate them as well? They are now 6 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I have 3 turtles, 2 Marginatas and 1 Hermanni, they are 6 years old. As babies, I had the 3 together because they told me that they were compatible species. Then I separated them by species when the marginalized began to grow. Always in the terrarium. Now the marginalized are very large and I am building an outdoor enclosure so that they are better in a large place and similar to their natural habitat.

However, I have read that it is bad to have a partner together, that it is better to be alone or in a group. What do I do? I'll put the 3 together again, I'll put them as before 2 and 1, or the 3 separately making 3 enclosures???

I'm sorry if something isn't understood, I'm writing with a translator.

Hola,
Tengo 3 tortugas, 2 Marginatas y 1 Hermanni, tienen 6 años. De bebés las tenía las 3 juntas porque me dijeron que eran especies compatibles. Después las separé por especies al empezar a crecer las marginatas. Siempre en terrario. Ahora las marginatas están muy grandes y estoy construyendo un recinto exterior para que estén mejor en un sitio grande y parecido a su hábitat natural.
Sin embargo he leído que es malo tener una pareja junta, que mejor solas o en grupo. Que hago?? Vuelvo a juntarlas las 3, las pongo como hasta ahora 2 y 1, o las 3 por separado haciendo 3 recintos???
Siento si algo no se entiende, estoy escribiendo con un traductor.
Hello and welcome!

Read this and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Yes they'll each be happier with their own territory.

merape80

Barcelona - España
Hello and welcome!

Read this and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:
Thank you very much!! I've read things here that I've never heard in Spain. Fortunately, my three turtles are healthy at 6 years of age, but I realize that I have made many mistakes out of ignorance. We are now with my husband building the enclosures, let's see how they turn out. I am worried that the marginatas will become huge, when I bought them I went with a supposed turtle expert and he told me that they were graecas, and then he gave me the hermanni and told me that I could live perfectly with the other two. All terrible!!!! They were together for 2 years and then I separated them by species but I didn't know they were bad as a couple!!! :(

Muchísimas gracias!! He leído cosas aquí que no había escuchado jamás en España. Afortunadamente mis tres tortugas están sanas a sus 6 años de edad pero me doy cuenta que he cometido muchísimos errores por ignorancia. Estamos ahora con mi marido construyendo los recintos, a ver qué tal nos salen. Me preocupa que las marginatas se hagan enormes, cuando las compré iba con un supuesto experto en tortugas y me dijo que eran graecas, y luego él me regaló la hermanni y me dijo que podía vivir perfectamente con las otras dos. Todo fatal!!!! Estuvieron juntas 2 años y luego las separé por especies pero no sabía que estaban mal en pareja!!! :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you very much!! I've read things here that I've never heard in Spain. Fortunately, my three turtles are healthy at 6 years of age, but I realize that I have made many mistakes out of ignorance. We are now with my husband building the enclosures, let's see how they turn out. I am worried that the marginatas will become huge, when I bought them I went with a supposed turtle expert and he told me that they were graecas, and then he gave me the hermanni and told me that I could live perfectly with the other two. All terrible!!!! They were together for 2 years and then I separated them by species but I didn't know they were bad as a couple!!! :(

Muchísimas gracias!! He leído cosas aquí que no había escuchado jamás en España. Afortunadamente mis tres tortugas están sanas a sus 6 años de edad pero me doy cuenta que he cometido muchísimos errores por ignorancia. Estamos ahora con mi marido construyendo los recintos, a ver qué tal nos salen. Me preocupa que las marginatas se hagan enormes, cuando las compré iba con un supuesto experto en tortugas y me dijo que eran graecas, y luego él me regaló la hermanni y me dijo que podía vivir perfectamente con las otras dos. Todo fatal!!!! Estuvieron juntas 2 años y luego las separé por especies pero no sabía que estaban mal en pareja!!! :(
De nada! Encantados de ayudar!