Grouchy or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
So we moved Hagrid's outdoor enclosure to a better spot in the yard for him and added some more weeds and another hide. Now I'm thinkings he's upset by the changes but... He keeps climbing the completely vertical wall and flipping over. The ground below is flat regular dirt, nothing fancy.

I've tried putting some big rocks where he flips over at but he just walks right around them to another part of the wall. This is happening like 5 times a day & I'm getting a bit worried. Do you think he's grouchy about moving or is it something else we need to address?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Tank did that the first few days in his new enclosure but stopped after a couple days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they get it in their head that they want to go a certain direction, there is just no changing their mind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to think that box turtles were the ones that had the built in home detector and always tried to escape and go home. But I've since discovered that some tortoises in each group (maybe not every single one, but some) also have this homing device. Some tortoises really, really want to go home when put into a new area. Takes a couple, three or four weeks for them to realize that this new "home" is every bit or better than the one they've been trying to go to.

Fruitloops

5 Year Member
Thank you for the responses everyone!

Hagrid's only flipping over about once every other day now. I added another rock to keep him away from the corner.

shmily1605 - It's wood, a garden box made of 2x4s we fixed up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.