Grass vs Decomposed granite

colorushappy

Location (City and/or State)
Imperial Beach
Our 1.5 year old hermann’s is being picked up on Sunday ? We are completing our outdoor enclosure (we live in San Diego) and have part grass and part decomposed granite in the box right now (half and half so far). Do you find outdoor Hermanns like grass or rocky/rough surfaces more? Trying to decide if we should have one more than the other and setting up the drip system and sprinkler for plants. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If this is for an indoor enclosure, you will need to rethink it. You said "in the box", but then mentioned the outdoor enclosure.

Do you also have an indoor enclosure, if we are talking about the outdoor enclosure? I wouldn't leave and 18 month old hermanni outside full time.

If the grass is sod, then it has all sorts of chemicals in it as well as plastic netting. If this is outdoors and the grass has been established for more than a year or two, then it should be fine.

DG is not a good substrate for tortoises. Its an impaction risk, just like sand or pebbles. I wouldn't use this at all indoors. If this is outdoors, it should be okay as long as you aren't feeding the tortoise on or anywhere near the DG.

colorushappy

Imperial Beach
It’s an outdoor enclosure that we are creating. Our lawn is grass and has been for years, we don’t use chemicals. We built a large wooden enclosure and wanted to make part of it something other than grass but aren’t sure if they enjoy being in grass or if they prefer a harder surface. We can remove more grass if that’s not their preferred surface so I was wondering what everyone’s tortoises prefer. The feeding area is currently on the grass side, the housing on the dirt side. It will have a locked house to keep it safe at night, no indoor enclosure. It’s been living outside in an enclosure it’s entire life already, we live in Southern CA.