Enclosure

Chipchip

Location (City and/or State)
ON
Hi guys!

I have a Hermann tortoise approx couple months old, how do I know when I need to upgrade the size of his tank? Right now his enclosure is 20L

Length:30”
Width:20”
Height:20”

If I buy a new one what would be a nice brand? Or I can build a new one using ikea bookcase? (Just curious question)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Please post pictures of your tortoise showing the tortoise in the tank, and we will be able to help you more.

Reactions: Ink

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi! I think you already start thinking about the upgrade. It will take some time to plan and make a new one.
Most of the branded enclosures for sale are too small or pretty expensive (if we look at PVC enclosures). Good options for semi-DIY are Ikea bookcases (will require some work on waterproofing and a greenhouse top to retain humidity and temperatures) and raised garden beds (there are kits out of two 4x4 plastic beds with covers, but you will need to make a floor of some kind).

Some suggestions for you current enclosure, if you don't mind:
1. Swap food and water dishes - he can use larger water dish for self-soaking and drinking.
2. Looks like a lot of calcium powder in the food dish. A small pinch once or twice a week is enough. You can also put a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure so he can bite some calcium when he needs it.
3. Substrate looks either like aspen bedding or dried out cypress mulch. Mulch is fine to use, but aspen shavings are too dry. If you spray the substrate, then it would be better to pour water in corners instead.
4. Tin foil works better than a towel for covering the mesh top - no risks of fire and it doesn't absorb water.

Chipchip

ON
Hi! I think you already start thinking about the upgrade. It will take some time to plan and make a new one.
Most of the branded enclosures for sale are too small or pretty expensive (if we look at PVC enclosures). Good options for semi-DIY are Ikea bookcases (will require some work on waterproofing and a greenhouse top to retain humidity and temperatures) and raised garden beds (there are kits out of two 4x4 plastic beds with covers, but you will need to make a floor of some kind).

Some suggestions for you current enclosure, if you don't mind:
1. Swap food and water dishes - he can use larger water dish for self-soaking and drinking.
2. Looks like a lot of calcium powder in the food dish. A small pinch once or twice a week is enough. You can also put a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure so he can bite some calcium when he needs it.
3. Substrate looks either like aspen bedding or dried out cypress mulch. Mulch is fine to use, but aspen shavings are too dry. If you spray the substrate, then it would be better to pour water in corners instead.
4. Tin foil works better than a towel for covering the mesh top - no risks of fire and it doesn't absorb water.
Hey! Thank you so much! I’ll take a lot of time think about the enclosure, I just didn’t know if not upgrading the enclosure will limit his growth.
What temp in the water dish is good for him to self soak? I used filtered room temperature water, sometimes the light heats the water to warm.
I use cypress mulch, how many times shd I spray water in a day? I usually do 3 times a day.
Where do u suggest I get cuttlefish fish bone from?
If I pour water over corner I usually mix the whole bedding to get it equally moist if that’s fine.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. A small enclosure will affect his health at some point. Tortoises walk miles in the wild and their body is adapted for that. Lack of movement is bad for their food digestion and muscle development. Baby tortoises tend to hide and sleep a lot, but as their activity increases with age a good sized enclosure is becoming more important.
2. Room temperature water should be fine, it will warm up in the enclosure anyway. I add lukewarm (88-90F) water when changing (otherwise, 0.3 gallons dish takes forever to heat up).
3. To keep humidity high you don't have to spray the substrate at all. Just pour water in the corners once in a week or so. Make sure that tank mesh top is covered. Mixing top and bottom layers can be done once or twice a month and that's fine.
4. Cuttlefish bone is sold for birds in pet shops (white oval thing). Sometimes, broken ovals are sold with a discount (not suitable for birds anymore, but fine for torts).