Enclosure help

snipsnap

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi guys,

I'm making a new enclosure for my torto.
Anyone have any experience with vivarium type enclosure for their torto enclosure?

Thinking of making backdrop with foam , some bark tree pieces then top it off with some coco peat and spaghnum moss.
Is this a good idea?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Many don't recommend sphagnum moss because it's an impaction risk. Otherwise your plan sounds good this far. What kind of tortoise do you have (species, size, age)? What size enclosure are you planning on? It is hard to find big enough vivariums for adult tortoises.

snipsnap

Indonesia
Many don't recommend sphagnum moss because it's an impaction risk. Otherwise your plan sounds good this far. What kind of tortoise do you have (species, size, age)? What size enclosure are you planning on? It is hard to find big enough vivariums for adult tortoises.
1 year old pardalis, around 8cm.
The enclosure is 48"x24"x18". There's still some time till it outgrow the enclosure I believe.

I do have some concern regarding the coco peat, whether it will last "forever"? Or do I need to add some living plants on it with some isopods inside the tank?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The enclosure is 48"x24"x18". There's still some time till it outgrow the enclosure I believe.

I do have some concern regarding the coco peat, whether it will last "forever"? Or do I need to add some living plants on it with some isopods inside the tank?
I don't have any experience making backgrounds so I don't know, but many keepers do have bio active enclosures, so I hope someone more experienced tunes in

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Considering size - 4x2 ft enclosure is nice for hatchlings and yearlings of smaller species. If you can build a larger one (like 6x3 or 8x4) this will be more future proof. If you have an outdoors enclosure (or can make one), then 4x2 perhaps will be fine (and can serve as a "night stand" later). What's more important - 18" height is really uncomfortable to properly set up heating and lightning, 24" gives you more options to choose lamps, heating and adjust their positions.

As for the foam backdrop, looks like this thread may be useful: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-new-3d-background.85537/

I think nothing bad will happen with coco peat on the backdrop for years - it doesn't mold easily or degrade.

Live plants are good in the enclosures (if they are tortoise safe, of course). And many plants do well in hot and humid environment. I opted to use potted plants in wall planter pockets (it's easier to take them out for recovery, fertilizing or replacement). Here is some photos to give an idea: https://tortoiseforum.org/media/albums/beshas-enclosures.1217/

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Hi guys,

I'm making a new enclosure for my torto.
Anyone have any experience with vivarium type enclosure for their torto enclosure?

Thinking of making backdrop with foam , some bark tree pieces then top it off with some coco peat and spaghnum moss.
Is this a good idea?
I like to build my baby enclosures simple since they outgrow them quickly. I would just go with some live plants and not go with the effort of the foam background. Just MO

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I recently purchased some organic plants from Bio Dude and them cam in very healthy and big! Just gotta repot into new soil since they do use perlite in the soil… but completely pesticide free which is hard to find these days