DIY tortoise table dimensions

brid

Location (City and/or State)
PA
My tortoise is currently in way too small of an enclosure so I’m working with a friend to build her the largest I can possibly fit. I just have a few questions and I hope this all makes sense.

The table will be 3x8 to allow for at least 24 sq foot. I plan to do 16 inch sidewalls so I can have at least 6 inches of substrate for her, 8 if I can make it so she won’t be able to escape.

Then to add more square footage at some point I may add a platform measuring 3x3 to total 33 total sq feet of space for her.

With the top platform, how far above the substrate would it need to be? Do I have to add substrate to the platform or can I leave it bare/use something else to avoid having to build up the sidewalls even higher?

For a ramp, what is the safest angle to have it so that I don’t need to add sidewalls to that, or do I need to put those on either way?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I don't have lot of experience on topic but will share what I've learned when was building mine.

1. To prevent escaping you may add a "lip" along the top edge of the walls (make them T or Γ shaped).
2. Square platform has to be high enough (10 inches or more) otherwise it will be too dark and cold under it and this space will be rarely used. Also it would be hard to do maintenance (like cleaning substrate). These were the reasons for me to go with "gallery style" extension. If you make it smaller (2x2, 2x4 or two 1x3 on both sides) you can put it a bit lower.
3. Always make at least low sidewalls on the ramp - sometimes they just decide to turn around on the ramp, switch "rear gear" and fall. Sidewalls prevent such accidents. With enough traction 30-45 degrees ramps are climbable. If my redfoot does it - then Russian certainly can too.

You can look at my Besha's enclosure, just in case: https://tortoiseforum.org/media/albums/beshas-enclosures.1217/

brid

PA
The gallery style is a great idea! I’m fairly short and don’t have much reach so that’s probably my best bet. Thank you for your reply and the pictures. I’m glad I asked about the ramp because I’ve seen them without but I would hate to risk any issues. Your setups are great and I can’t wait to give my girl the space she deserves.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Some tips from my own ramp building experience:
1. To avoid any accidents I would make the ramp significantly wider than the tortoise itself, so wide that your tortoise can make an u-turn comfortably. I made sure of this making my ramp wide enough for my tortoise to stand there both horizontally and vertically.
2. Use some kind of carpet or sand paper that makes the cleaning of the ramp easier and add some grip. Your tortoise will inevidably pee or poo on the ramp and if it is just wood, it is not going to be easy to get that sanitary. For the same reason I suggest you cover the platform with somethin too. But avoid reptile carpet at all cost, it might cause your tortoise to lose it's nails.
3. Make the ramp removable or on hinges for the ease of cleaning under the ramp.