Desert Tort sleeping outside of burrow

Petey G

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Springs, CA
Two 5 year old torts raised together in captivity from The Living Desert. One slept outside of the burrow last night (in Palm Springs, CA). Normal? The nighttime temp was in the high 60’s. I’ve had them for a month+ but haven’t seen this before. There are 2 hides but they seem to want to share one except last night. Otherwise, happy little bugs.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Who knows what goes on in that little pea brain. I go around every evening and make sure everyone is away in their shelter and I block the opening to keep them safe.

Just a word of advice from a desert tortoise keeper of over 30 years: it would behoove you to separate that beautiful enclosure into two so each tortoise can have his own territory. Tortoises are solitary, neither wanting nor needing another tortoise in their territory. Eventually something bad is going to happen.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
" There are 2 hides but they seem to want to share one except last night." = bullying. One is bullying the other and stressing the other out.

As yvonne noted - best to separate them. They don't need or want buddies.

Petey G

Palm Springs, CA
Thank you! I certainly don’t want bullying. I’ve been watching for any behavior that could be construed as dominance, but I imagine this is a subtle form.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you! I certainly don’t want bullying. I’ve been watching for any behavior that could be construed as dominance, but I imagine this is a subtle form.

Yes, that's the problem is what looks like bullying in tortoises looks like positive behavior in mammals and people often miss it

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
While it is subtle (and what's more confusing they can share a burrow in the wild), it is still stressful. Like me coming into your house - I wouldn't break stuff or attack you but that night when you decide to sleep on the sofa instead of the bed would be a victory of mine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's subtle - crowding at the food, sitting or peeing on the food, what is misconstrued as cuddling, sleeping in the same burrow, then blocking the door so one can't get out, following, etc. I'm a firm believer it's also mental, with no outward signs.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I agree about the bullying.Are the burrows located so it is possible to split the yard in half? The divider should be solid. So your torts can't see each other.My sully will now and then sleep out under the stars. I have 4 security cameras covering the backyard and Opo weighs 90+lbs. So I only worry about a racoon or a bobcat.

Petey G

Palm Springs, CA
I agree about the bullying.Are the burrows located so it is possible to split the yard in half? The divider should be solid. So your torts can't see each other.My sully will now and then sleep out under the stars. I have 4 security cameras covering the backyard and Opo weighs 90+lbs. So I only worry about a racoon or a bobcat.
90+ pounds and you still have to worry about a bobcat or raccoon?!? I’ve never seen a raccoon, but we do get a periodic bobcat. I think I’ll just separate them and be done with it…since companionship with other torts isn’t really necessary or healthy for them. Thx!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
90+ pounds and you still have to worry about a bobcat or raccoon?!? I’ve never seen a raccoon, but we do get a periodic bobcat. I think I’ll just separate them and be done with it…since companionship with other torts isn’t really necessary or healthy for them. Thx!
Might not have to worry about a bobcat as much as a raccoon. Raccoons have strong hands that they can use like humans. Not sure if they could pull one of Opo's legs out or not. I have seen where they have killed smaller tortoises. I don't think they kill for food. A few people I know, have had problems with raccoons killing their chickens. But the raccoons don't eat the chickens.