can anyone help me, what kinda tortoise is this?

Talon

Location (City and/or State)
Penang
hello everyone,
someone left and gave me this tortoise to take care of her,
but as far I don't know anything about her except of her being a female.
So if someone can tell me which type of tortoise is she, also about the age and diet if possible because I feed her only lettuce and I feel it's not right.
note: she is around 7cm
thank you very much
IMG_20240405_044557.jpgIMG_20240405_044634.jpgIMG_20240405_044658.jpgIMG_20240405_044713.jpg

Talon

Penang
yes it is
and I have no idea about the tortoise at all that's why I'm asking.
I was thinking it's a Greek tortoise but not sure.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Maybe you are right and it's a Greek tortoise (but I'm awful at species ID). Anyway, some basic care is similar for almost all species:
1. Daily soaks in a lukewarm water to help him stay hydrated.
2. Keeping him warm at night (80F).
3. Feeding him greens like hibiscus, grape or mulberry leaves, some pak choi / bok choi, opuntia cactus pads, endive, kale, rocket (ruccola, arugula) salad, radicchio and so on. Lettuce can be fed too as a part of variety, because it's low on nutrients.
4. Provide him a dedicated space to roam with some deep shade, plants, fresh water and suitable substrate (not stone slates).
5. He looks like a yearling, at this age they still need stable environment with high humidity and temperature no lower than 80F. Usually, this means you have to keep tortoise baby indoors in a "closed chamber" with occasional access outside.

Talon

Penang
Maybe you are right and it's a Greek tortoise (but I'm awful at species ID). Anyway, some basic care is similar for almost all species:
1. Daily soaks in a lukewarm water to help him stay hydrated.
2. Keeping him warm at night (80F).
3. Feeding him greens like hibiscus, grape or mulberry leaves, some pak choi / bok choi, opuntia cactus pads, endive, kale, rocket (ruccola, arugula) salad, radicchio and so on. Lettuce can be fed too as a part of variety, because it's low on nutrients.
4. Provide him a dedicated space to roam with some deep shade, plants, fresh water and suitable substrate (not stone slates).
5. He looks like a yearling, at this age they still need stable environment with high humidity and temperature no lower than 80F. Usually, this means you have to keep tortoise baby indoors in a "closed chamber" with occasional access outside.
I'm getting a bigger container yes, in the morning I put him next to the window, no direct sunlight though, should I pick a place with direct sunlight or this is enough?
I know some reptiles likes to sunbathe for a short time.
also this information is really useful, I appreciate it.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm getting a bigger container yes, in the morning I put him next to the window, no direct sunlight though, should I pick a place with direct sunlight or this is enough?
I know some reptiles likes to sunbathe for a short time.
also this information is really useful, I appreciate it.
Glass and plastic filter a portion of sunlight UV (UVB) which is essential for tortoises to stay healthy.

Many tortoise species sunbath (bask) under direct sun too, but shade always must be provided so tortoise can hide and cool down when needed. With a container I would be extremely careful to put it under direct sunlight - you may overheat your tortoise. If you can make some outside space half-shaded - this would be better.

This link can help you with the basics of tortoise care:
Also, at the end of it there is a link to temperate species care sheet with more details on keeping Greek tortoises (let's assume you have a Greek for now).

Please, ask questions when you have any (some of the recommendations on care maybe adjusted to your climate and conditions) and if you are going to buy something - you may check it up with us first.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum! You'll get the best possible help here.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It’s a Greek tortoise, for sure. Hard to be certain of subspecies though but for me it looks like Testudo graeca terrestris of Turkish origin.

Talon

Penang
It’s a Greek tortoise, for sure. Hard to be certain of subspecies though but for me it looks like Testudo graeca terrestris of Turkish origin.
that settle it then, thank you very much I was watching your youtube channel on the other day and got really confused which type my tortoise was, that's how I ended up asking here.