Zoomed Tortoise House for Hermann's

Lynsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have a baby Hermann's tortoise. I have only had him 2 weeks. I got him a Zoomed tortoise house 3' x 2', and I am going to build an outdoor enclosure for him very soon about 5' x 5'. I live in San Diego, CA so he can be outside a lot since the weather is pretty nice here. He would be in the indoor enclosure a few months in the winter and maybe just some nights when it is cooler. My question is, will the Zoomed enclosure be large enough to keep him for life during winter and cooler nights, or should I get a second one to attach them together to make a 6' x 2' enclosure?

Thanks,
Lynsey

P.S. I also lined the bottom in plastic due to complaints of mold from other.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not for life, no, but it will do until he gets to be two or three years old.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I would think that if I put 2 together that would work for inside for life. 6' x 2' seems good for an indoor enclosure if he spent most of his time in his larger outdoor enclosure. Is that correct thinking? Or am I way off? I am very new to this, and am trying to do everything right for little Tuco ;)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Yes, two together should be fine . That is the same size as the recommend 5 shelve book cases. To give more floor space I would eliminate one hide. Maybe use it for the water bowl or cut out a tunnel were the wall is if that makes sense. A book shelf is a cheaper way to go but sometimes you can get them cheap. I paid $40 and purchased two when they went on sale. I have never used them however as a have a tortoise table but I can't pass a bargain :) . You can search you tube and see some examples of two put together.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I just purchased a second one on Amazon. It comes friday. Now I am off to Ikea to get another cheap coffee table. It fits the table perfectly. I know I could do it cheaper, but this finished look of these is better then I could do myself so I am not too concerned. I am spending most of my efforts on making his outdoor enclosure safe and awesome with lots of weed for him to eat and things to climb on. I want to have a spoiled tort :) not one that is just getting by with the bare minimum.

Thanks so much!