ZooMed Repti-Bark Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Has anyone out there ever tried the ZooMed Repti-Bark subtrate on the enclosure of your tortoise?If yes,what do you think of it?Would you highly recommend the ZooMed Repti-Bark substrate?I think that it is made out of the bark of a Fir tree.
Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

I opened the bag and immediately didn't like it and threw the whole bag away unused. I didn't like the size of the pieces it was like a buncha rocks...

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
maggie3fan said:
I opened the bag and immediately didn't like it and threw the whole bag away unused. I didn't like the size of the pieces it was like a buncha rocks...

Forgive the ignorance as I am still a newbie,why won't it make a good substrate for a tortoise if the Repti- Bark are the size of rocks?What are the drawbacks?
Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's hard for smaller torts to walk on. It's bad for their legs and cause something called splay leg. They need a more firm substrate to walk on, something that doesn't move away when they step down. Even a softer substrate like cypress mulch is better for them to walk on.... Also while they can burrow under it, it's kinda hard to cover yourself up with rocks...

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
maggie3fan said:
It's hard for smaller torts to walk on. It's bad for their legs and cause something called splay leg. They need a more firm substrate to walk on, something that doesn't move away when they step down. Even a softer substrate like cypress mulch is better for them to walk on.... Also while they can burrow under it, it's kinda hard to cover yourself up with rocks...

By the way,what is cypress mulch?How do I use it?Also,what about substrates made of coconut bark?Are they any good?
Thanks.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Cyprus mulch is sold at home improvement and garden stores. Coconut coir is another great option. I don't like the bark type substrates because like Maggie said, the large particles. Cyprus mulch if you can find it is the easier option as you don't have to soak a brick in water like the coconut coir. Cyprus mulch may be more expensive depending on where you live though (coconut coir is easy to order online for cheap).

Status
Not open for further replies.