Zoo Meds food vs Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgekathe

5 Year Member
Has anyone any experience with Zoo Meds Natural Forest Tortoise Food - supposed to be designed for Redfoots & Yellowfoots.

If anyone has, how does it compare to Mazuri?

Thanks in advance for responses.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I haven't used natural forest but I've tried zoo med grassland for my leo's must be similar. They will not touch it I've mixed it in with all their other food come back to find they have eaten every thing else but the zoo med I would say get some Muzuri they love it cant go wrong :)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
This is an interesting topic. I dont know if my RF's are just picky or not but some will eat the zoo med and others will not. But one thing is for sure, they all LOVE the Muzuri. It depends on your tortoise. The zoo med natural forest is good nutrition wise, but it should be part of a regular diet; the problem is whether or not you tort will eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think both are good. I use both mixed with greens to add some variety to their diet. I don't have redfoots, but all of my tortoises prefer the Mazuri. That doesn't mean its better for them though.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
To the extent I can get my leopards to eat either they prefer zoomed. I think because it looks more grassy when moistened. They won't touch the mazuri yet.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Zoo Meds two diets...Grassland and Forest both contain dehydrated versions of the foods they'd eat naturally. They also make the claim that pyramiding is avoided if you use them. That's ridiculous! Mazuri, on the other hand, seems to accelerate growth...and seems to contribute to their overall health more than the Zoo Med diets...

Funny how one's views can change over the course of a year;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Would it be ok to feed my Tort ZooMed Natural Box Turtle food? I live in a small town and this is all the local pet shop had. "Tomas" did eat it, just wondering if I should continue or switch to the ones you suggest.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
DixieParadise said:
Would it be ok to feed my Tort ZooMed Natural Box Turtle food? I live in a small town and this is all the local pet shop had. "Tomas" did eat it, just wondering if I should continue or switch to the ones you suggest.

What kind of tortoise do you have?

LindaF

5 Year Member
My vet pushed and suggested the zoo med. No matter how I served it or what I mixed it with my red foot refused to eat it. It even made him "angry" when it was in his dish. He would just dig at it and throw it every where. He LOVES Mazuri he will even nibble on it dry.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Linda, I have a Cherry Head. I am guessing it to be almost 2 years old. It is 3.5 inches. He did eat the ZooMed Natural Box Turtle wet and mashed. Just got his lighting adjusted for inside, so he hasn't really been active today.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
The redfoot that I will be getting eats the Zoo Med Forest Tortoise food very readily, as long as it is moistened. It always has a bowl of greens available, but quite often goes to the pellet mash first.... Should this be part of the every day diet or limited to a couple of times a week at most?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I used zoo med a few years ago and now I am sold on Mazuri....I would consider using zoo med again if the price was right and maybe crush it down and use it to sprinkle over other food.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Just gave my Sulcata some zoo med and mazuri today for the first time in awhile. He preferred the zoo med! but my red foot prefers mazuri...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nutritionally, either is fine for the tortoises. I personally like a diet plan that uses about 1/2 good pellets or prepared chows and 1/2 naturalistic foods.

One option for using up the stuff or getting the tortoise used to it is to crush it and sprinkle it over foods.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I used to offer both Mazuri and Zoo Med, but my guys would ignore the Zoo Med and only eat the Mazuri. I can't get rid of the stuff now. I may try it again, but mine really prefer Mazuri

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, posted it in tortoise crack. short story. both my pancakes like natural grassland but it took mixing in with spring mix. they both gained weight on it. i use it a couple a times a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.