Zoo Med Tortoise House

Tiffany Ridge

this question isn't necessarily specific to this enclosure but any that hAve an opening. I cannot keep the humidity up at all. I have the coco husk and coco fiber then moss in the side area and hide. I added a large container of water to help and it's not doing much good. I purchased some of the thick plastic contact paper and cut a piece out for the opening but I'm don't want to leave his lights on out of fear this will melt. A new enclosure isn't an option until summer. Any suggestions????

Attachments

• IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 64

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
this question isn't necessarily specific to this enclosure but any that hAve an opening. I cannot keep the humidity up at all. I have the coco husk and coco fiber then moss in the side area and hide. I added a large container of water to help and it's not doing much good. I purchased some of the thick plastic contact paper and cut a piece out for the opening but I'm don't want to leave his lights on out of fear this will melt. A new enclosure isn't an option until summer. Any suggestions????

Not sure what kind of tortoise you have, but I assume it's some kind of hatchling that requires humidity.

The best thing is to build an enclosed indoor setup. Since you can't do this until the summer, you have a fairly cheap and easy solution.

Go to HoDo or any other home improvement store and buy some PVC pipes, like that for sprinkler plumbing. Build an "A" frame like a swing set at a school yard, sized for your table. Then drape a shower curtain over it. Effectively, it will look like a small greenhouse.

You can then even hang your existing lights like the "swing" would be. Wet the Coco fiber and measure humidity. You should hit humidity with no issue.

Plenty of pictures on this site with that setup. Probably less than $20. BOL.