Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent Lamp

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello!

For the days when I can't get my Russian out in time for good UV rays or in winter, I wanted to be prepared with a good UV light for him instead of waiting until the time comes...

This is the one I was looking at, and I've been looking for information about UV bulbs on TFO but I haven't been able to come to a good conclusion about which one to get or how to properly set it up.. I understand they need to be quite high above the ground level of the enclosure but I've also been seeing some conflicting information about that.

Does anyone with this bulb have any advice about this? I can't at the moment afford the fancy UV monitoring system, so I really don't want to buy something I can't be sure of.

Another question, I understand that these bulbs eventually stop putting out the proper amount of UV. Does this happen as the bulb is being used, or does this happen over time regardless of how often the bulb actually turned on?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
If you have any better suggestions, please also let me know those! This one was just a good price and as I already have a basking bulb (this is the one I have), I'm mostly concerned about the UV output.
130V??? why did you choose this one? US standard is 120V. Bulb will work but not at the 65W output

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!

For the days when I can't get my Russian out in time for good UV rays or in winter, I wanted to be prepared with a good UV light for him instead of waiting until the time comes...

This is the one I was looking at, and I've been looking for information about UV bulbs on TFO but I haven't been able to come to a good conclusion about which one to get or how to properly set it up.. I understand they need to be quite high above the ground level of the enclosure but I've also been seeing some conflicting information about that.

Does anyone with this bulb have any advice about this? I can't at the moment afford the fancy UV monitoring system, so I really don't want to buy something I can't be sure of.

Another question, I understand that these bulbs eventually stop putting out the proper amount of UV. Does this happen as the bulb is being used, or does this happen over time regardless of how often the bulb actually turned on?
The T8 bulb proceed hardly any UV. They need to be mounted around 10 inches from the tortoise and even then they barely make any UV. The T5 HO bulb that method recommend will work much better for you. I prefer the Arcadia 12% HO tubes myself. The HO tubes generate much higher levels of UVB and need to be mounted farther away. Generally about 14-15 inches away for the ZooMed one and 18-20 inches away for the Arcadia.

With any bulb, you need a UV meter to check the output and set the mounting height correctly: https://www.solarmeter.com/product/model65r/

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Probably a misprint on the Amazon ad.
That's what I thought at first but it gives you 120v lumens and 130v lumens and claims to last longer when used at 120v... strange

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Probably a misprint on the Amazon ad.
That's what I thought at first but it gives you 120v lumens and 130v lumens and claims to last longer when used at 120v... strange
It is not a misprint. They make 130v bulbs. They are made with a thicker filament supposed to withstand more volutage up to 130v even though all household current is 110v - 120v. This makes the bulb last longer and use a bit less energy as a bit less current is driven through the thicker filament at the 110v of our house current. However, the trade-off is that it also burns less brightly and the color it puts out is skewed to the redder side of the spectrum. Still will work fine for a basking bulb with other proper ambient and UV lighting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not a misprint. They make 130v bulbs. They are made with a thicker filament supposed to withstand more volutage up to 130v even though all household current is 110v - 120v. This makes the bulb last longer and use a bit less energy as a bit less current is driven through the thicker filament at the 110v of our house current. However, the trade-off is that it also burns less brightly and the color it puts out is skewed to the redder side of the spectrum. Still will work fine for a basking bulb with other proper ambient and UV lighting.
Thank you for the knowledge Mark. I get smarter every time I talk to you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
The T8 bulb proceed hardly any UV. They need to be mounted around 10 inches from the tortoise and even then they barely make any UV. The T5 HO bulb that method recommend will work much better for you. I prefer the Arcadia 12% HO tubes myself. The HO tubes generate much higher levels of UVB and need to be mounted farther away. Generally about 14-15 inches away for the ZooMed one and 18-20 inches away for the Arcadia.

With any bulb, you need a UV meter to check the output and set the mounting height correctly: https://www.solarmeter.com/product/model65r/
I've been looking at buying a solarmeter. From my experience with other equipment it seems the brands specifically for reptiles are marked up compared to the same product that isn't used specifically for reptile keeping. Examples being thermometers, hygrometer, and light fixtures. Is this the same for solarmeters?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been looking at buying a solarmeter. From my experience with other equipment it seems the brands specifically for reptiles are marked up compared to the same product that isn't used specifically for reptile keeping. Examples being thermometers, hygrometer, and light fixtures. Is this the same for solarmeters?
No. Its the same price for the "reptile" version and the "regular" version. They are the exact same meter made by the exact same company, just with different stickers on them. Always $249. Sometimes you can find them a little cheaper on Amazon, but no other meter works for our purposes.

DigitalArtDad

SAINT JOSEPH
No. Its the same price for the "reptile" version and the "regular" version. They are the exact same meter made by the exact same company, just with different stickers on them. Always $249. Sometimes you can find them a little cheaper on Amazon, but no other meter works for our purposes.
Ya I figured there would be more brands but I'm seeing what you mean now. I did notice there is different models. Should I just go with the newest? Sorry for the dumb questions

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Ya I figured there would be more brands but I'm seeing what you mean now. I did notice there is different models. Should I just go with the newest? Sorry for the dumb questions
It’s the Solarmeter 6.5 or 6.5r that you want. They’re the same Solarmeter, just one has a reptile on it. It’s well worth the investment, especially because you have multiple tortoises. I just have one tortoise and am glad I have one.