Zoo Med Reptisun. 10. UVB T5 HO Lamp fixture.

Leothetort*2021

Location (City and/or State)
KENTUCKY
Hey all
I'm changing over my Leopard torts UVB to. what was suggested on here: Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp. HOWeVER .... I ordered a lamp on Chewys and they sent me a 22" which will be fine BUT and I MEAN BIG BUT... I can't find a hood that it will fit. Any suggestions would be much appreciated or at this point I will go another direction. I was looking into the UVB LEDs but SOOOOO expensive and hard to find lamps to boot..
Can I use a Aqua Sun or Marine T5 HO?
thanks in advance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh. I see.
The hood is a 24" even though the tube is 22".
LLL lighting and BIG AL'S PETS have been my places.
You can use the Zoomed or Arcadia ones.
Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all
I'm changing over my Leopard torts UVB to. what was suggested on here: Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp. HOWeVER .... I ordered a lamp on Chewys and they sent me a 22" which will be fine BUT and I MEAN BIG BUT... I can't find a hood that it will fit. Any suggestions would be much appreciated or at this point I will go another direction. I was looking into the UVB LEDs but SOOOOO expensive and hard to find lamps to boot..
thanks in advance.
You might find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Normally the fixture is ordered with the bulb.

I've never heard of LED UV bulbs. If they've finally been invented, I know of no one using them yet.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was looking into the UVB LEDs but SOOOOO expensive and hard to find lamps to boot..

I think it's probably a good idea for most people to wait until the LEDs are proven and "tested" in actual use. And after a few years, the price will come down.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Hey all
thanks in advance.
You can just get a regular light fixtures from Home Depot and get super powerful UV bulbs. IF you are willing to do a little work.

You can even crunch up aluminum foil for the a super powerful bulb and a simple light fixture from home depot.

The bulbs last at least a year. I've priced some and they are $8-$10 each. I think you need to dispose of them properly though.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You might find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Normally the fixture is ordered with the bulb.

I've never heard of LED UV bulbs. If they've finally been invented, I know of no one using them yet.
There are indeed now some pretty promising LED UVB bulbs. I am testing some now in some of my enclousures. I am really liking what I see so far. Eliminates the heat problem with the HO T5s. Screws into a standard E26 E27 socket. Gives a smaller basking zone of 3.0 at about 18" height, but I like the reduced size basking zone for tortoises anyway. They are pricy retailing about $95, but have an extremely long UV life as opposed to fluorescent.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
There are indeed now some pretty promising LED UVB bulbs. I am testing some now in some of my enclousures. I am really liking what I see so far. Eliminates the heat problem with the HO T5s. Screws into a standard E26 E27 socket. Gives a smaller basking zone of 3.0 at about 18" height, but I like the reduced size basking zone for tortoises anyway. They are pricy retailing about $95, but have an extremely long UV life as opposed to fluorescent.
There must be LED UV bulbs. I have a typical fluorescent bulb for my ETB (Eastern Box Turtle). I have to replace it soon I think.

LED will last a long time. They will lose 'light' over the years but it may not matter until about 10+ years!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
How's the UVB output compared to the standard florescent bulbs? Comparable?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
There are very clear measures to compare them. I won't do the research, but I suspect the LEDs are just as good.

For heat basking nothing beats halogen. Just make sure your Tortoise/Turtle can escape the heat.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not sure how to answer your question as I don't know what you mean by a "standard Fluorescent bulb".

Height mounted above the substrate is the factor in what level of UVI you get a tortoise level for all UVB bulbs. With the bulbs I am testing now, at 16" I get about 3.0 UVI in a circle about 12" in diameter. I mount that right next to my incadescent basking bulb and get a very effective basking area. I like the reduced basking zone.

With an Arcadia Pro T5 HO 12% 22" fluoresent, I get a 3.0 UVI mounted about 18" high but because of the bulb length, a longer 28" x 10" basking zone.

So both work in providing an area of adequate UVB for D3 production. The T5 will overheat a closed chamber with the incandescent basking bulb. The LED will not.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
There are very clear measures to compare them. I won't do the research, but I suspect the LEDs are just as good.

For heat basking nothing beats halogen. Just make sure your Tortoise/Turtle can escape the heat.
Yeah, I've got the halogen covered. I'm just not familiar with the LED variety. I've got another 6 months on my current T5 and would consider replacing with an LED if the output is as good or better.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Not sure how to answer your question as I don't know what you mean by a "standard Fluorescent bulb".

Height mounted above the substrate is the factor in what level of UVI you get a tortoise level for all UVB bulbs. With the bulbs I am testing now, at 16" I get about 3.0 UVI in a circle about 12" in diameter. I mount that right next to my incadescent basking bulb and get a very effective basking area. I like the reduced basking zone.

With an Arcadia Pro T5 HO 12% 22" fluoresent, I get a 3.0 UVI mounted about 18" high but because of the bulb length, a longer 28" x 10" basking zone.

So both work in providing an area of adequate UVB for D3 production. The T5 will overheat a closed chamber with the incandescent basking bulb. The LED will not.
Thanks. That answered my question. I'm always leery of LED products when they first come out.

Leothetort*2021

KENTUCKY

Thank you appreciate all the info. Lots to learn here.

Leothetort*2021

KENTUCKY
You can just get a regular light fixtures from Home Depot and get super powerful UV bulbs. IF you are willing to do a little work.

You can even crunch up aluminum foil for the a super powerful bulb and a simple light fixture from home depot.

The bulbs last at least a year. I've priced some and they are $8-$10 each. I think you need to dispose of them properly though.
TY

JeffR

Sacramento
Which LEDs are you using? I have been using

Honpal Led Reptile Light, LED UVA + UVB and they get solid readings on the solarmeter 6.5 and they run about $30 on Amazon.​

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Which LEDs are you using? I have been using

Honpal Led Reptile Light, LED UVA + UVB and they get solid readings on the solarmeter 6.5 and they run about $30 on Amazon.​

Jeff;

I just can't get myself to trust the Bulbs from China. We still see issues from the compacts and CHE's made in China. Just not the quality control there to assure to my satisfaction that there is not too much UVC being emitted by the bulb.

I am testing the SurSun. Sold by Vivatek:

Francis Baines and her colleague did test these bulbs and reported absolutely no UVC is being emitted. I wanted info from an independent lab verifying the bulb did not emit UVC.

The problem is that without a very expensive lab quality spectrometer, you cannot tell from the reading of a solarmeter if there is UVC contributing to the reading you are getting, or just UVB. The meter is weighted to screen out readings from UVA, but with UVC you will get a response with the meter that looks like strong UVB. That was often the issue with some of the China-made compacts. So to this day, I still will not use a CHE or a compact fluorescent from a China manufacturer.

Zoo Med is also now marketing a LED UVB bulb. I haven't see independent spectrometer results, but Zoo Med is a good company. Just last month, the CEO of Zoo Med was trying to get me to test his bulbs. I will soon, but haven't yet.