Zoo Med Powersun 100 watt MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Well, it's been a loooong time since I've posted but I've been reading and keeping up to date :) Turtle (Greek tort) is doing great thanks to you guys!

I'm popping back on because I wanted to let you know that this bulb just doesn't seem to be lasting as long as they claim it should. I got it in November '10 and tested it today, it's only emitting a 22 per my UV meter. My 2 year old florescent is up at 55!
Of course I never sent the paperwork in so can't get a replacement but am on the hunt for a better bulb. I had a T-Rex that was great right up until it burned out but can't find any now (100 watt). MegaRays seem to be a no-go right now too. Perhaps I will give an Exo Terra a try, at least it's a bit less expensive.
It's really, really important to test your bulbs...just because they light and say they last a long time means nothing.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am glad you posted this question. Since I read that they can only last 8 months I was wondering how I would know when it was depleted (Powersun 100 UVB). Any recommendations for a UV tester?

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I got this one sometime in 2009 and it has been great. I don't know what I paid for it at the time but it's been well worth whatever it was. There may be others out there, I haven't checked around.

Status
Not open for further replies.