Zoo-Med Grassland Tortoise Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Been meaning to ask about this for a while, but forgot about it.

I know there was a recall on this, but I've read some good reviews.

Has anyone tried it?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This product and the product they market for forest tortoises are essentally the same. Also check out the ingredients for this product. One ingredient I found on the label was juniper, which I find interesting since we all seem to avoid softwoods in our husbandry of these animals. I wouldn't use it, there are so many better foods out there.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was thinking about getting some of this. Glad I didn't.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I to looked at this and decided against it. I went with Mazuri. the sales rep came to our club and did about a hour and a half presentation. I was impressed and decided to try it. I use it as a supplement and the torts once they get use to it seem to like it fine. The DT really seem to like it the best.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was thinking of getting the Mazuri also but it's higher in protein. I was concerned about that. I don't think mine would eat it anyway. For some reason she has no interest in grass.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I didn't think Squirt did either. But I sit in the computer room alot and that is where she is and I heard munching. I found her eating Orchard Hay. She eats the Mazuri, not a lot, but some. I figure it couldn't hurt for Squirts roughage and some extra Vits. I soak it for about 90 seconds then crumble it over her greens and she eats it, but I use it as a supplement not as her main food. I Got a 1 lb bag at my Tort club for $3.00 so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. I’ll buy another lb tonight if they have any left.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
I didn't think Squirt did either. But I sit in the computer room alot and that is where she is and I heard munching. I found her eating Orchard Hay. She eats the Mazuri, not a lot, but some. I figure it couldn't hurt for Squirts roughage and some extra Vits. I soak it for about 90 seconds then crumble it over her greens and she eats it, but I use it as a supplement not as her main food. I Got a 1 lb bag at my Tort club for $3.00 so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. I’ll buy another lb tonight if they have any left.

I can't remember where I got the info, but I read or heard that Sulcatas should only get Mazuri as an occasional treat. Probably cause it is too high in protein. My Redfoot & Russians love it. I give it to them only as a treat too.
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
K9KidsLove said:
I can't remember where I got the info, but I read or heard that Sulcatas should only get Mazuri as an occasional treat. Probably cause it is too high in protein. My Redfoot & Russians love it. I give it to them only as a treat too.
Patsy

Its plant protein, though, not animal protein.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
after I sent this email:
"I understand you had a recall on this food. Please give me the info as I
have some and want to make sure it is safe. Is there a code or date and
why was it recalled?
Zoo-Med Grassland Tortoise Foods"

This is a message I recieved from the people at Zoo-Med.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Most of the affected food was luckily
contained within our facility. That said, we went ahead and asked for
food with an expiration date earlier than October 2010 be returned. The
expiration date is printed on the side of the lid.

We have dedicated PhD Nutritionists analyzing the diets and have
confidence that if the food had been ingested it was not harmful to your
pets.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Please note that we
have implemented further process controls to avoid this problem in the
future. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We are
committed to making quality foods using the best ingredients for the
long term health of your animals.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience and please let me know if you have
further questions or comments.

Regards,

Dir. Customer Service

They did offer to replace any food items. But never answered directly why the food was recalled.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I also bought some Mazuri and no one seemed to like it at first, then I soaked it in a little diluted apple juice, (no sugar) and now I don't have to. (I could get a 3 lb from ebay for about $18. I think or get a 25 lb for $24.)
They had to get to like it!
Na

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
No response from Zoo-Med on the why of the recall makes me uneasy. I guess I just like forthright answers. I'd steer away them. Mazuri is good if you follow their directions.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort said:
No response from Zoo-Med on the why of the recall makes me uneasy. I guess I just like forthright answers. I'd steer away them. Mazuri is good if you follow their directions.

I agree Itort. That is why I messaged them to find out why it was recalled. When I ask a straight foward question I expect a straight forward answer. Especially when it comes to the health of my animals friends. I did try zoo-med when I first aquired the torts and quickly found they wouldn't eat it at all. So I tossed it. And if the answer I got to my questions makes them think I would try it again they are sorely mistaken. I have been using Mazui as a supplamental food for more than a year now and will continue that.
I just wanted eveyone here to see how the hedged around the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.