Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge Zoo Med

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

5 Year Member
image.jpg

These little analog temp/humidity gauges are horrible.

I put three of them in the same spot and nothing matched up.

+ or - 10 degree swing in both heat and humidity.

Time for a heat gun.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
None of those little disc type and any like the one pictured are worth a darn. I have waisted many a bills on those crappy things.:(

Jackson

5 Year Member
I'm thinking that the heat gun only reads surface temperature. If the substrate is damp or in direct heat this might not be an accurate "air" temperature.

I think I need some good thermometers in there?

What is everyone using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a couple temp gun. One reads the temp if the place you put the infrared light. The other does a reading of the area of where you point it, like a half circle type area. Then I also have a remote temp gauge that I can read from inside my house, as the torts are out in a shed. They should have all these kind at a Home Depot or a hardware store.

Jackson

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have a couple temp gun. One reads the temp if the place you put the infrared light. The other does a reading of the area of where you point it, like a half circle type area. Then I also have a remote temp gauge that I can read from inside my house, as the torts are out in a shed. They should have all these kind at a Home Depot or a hardware store.

Roger that, I'll see what I can find.

This is an enclosed set up. It's been fully set up for 4 days now, but Clifton hasn't moved in yet. I'm playing with temps and humidity.

Humidity is looking good. No need for a humidifier now. A good spraying lasts a while at 90+ humidity. Love it.

I had to get rid of the MVB and I'm waiting on a tube for tropical species. The 5.0 Tropical Terrarium T8 Fluorescent Lamp.

I'm thinking that's all he really needs because he gets plenty of outdoor time.

The thermostat seems to be working fine, I just need better temperature measurements.

I think I'll have several hides with night temps from 78 to 85

Ambient daytime temps at 85-87

Cool spots at 78 and hottest at 97

I guess I'll let him choose what he likes?

Does this sound right?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I like the digital readers with probes, I have a infrared heat gun and the thing is terrible, it says that the temp on my hand is at least 150f, and when I point it into say my fridge or freezer it still rings up around 100f. when I first got it, i loved it and it was spot on, but after only 2 months it started getting farther and farther from the truth, while my probe ones all read accurately still, moral of the story, keep an eye on it if you do go infrared, doesn't necessarily mean it is correct (unless I have an unusual tolerance for fevers and really do run a fever of 150+ lol)

FYI I got mine off of amazon for 15-20 bucks and it is yellow and black with a laser sight, not sure of the brand name, and is basically an easy to hold laser pointer for playing with cats now.

Status
Not open for further replies.