Zoo Med Eco Carpet

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I was wondering if anyone has used the Zoo Med Eco carpet and I was wondering if you all think it might be a good and easy to clean substrate. I just got a Redfoot, and I have him in some Eco Earth. However I got him a auto mister and fogger and added a fountain, and the fountain waterfall seems to leak so now it's more like a swamp then moist, I'm just thinking the carpet may be able to hold the moist better and not get as wet and soaked. Thanks all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Zoo Med Eco carpet and I was wondering if you all think it might be a good and easy to clean substrate. I just got a Redfoot, and I have him in some Eco Earth. However I got him a auto mister and fogger and added a fountain, and the fountain waterfall seems to leak so now it's more like a swamp then moist, I'm just thinking the carpet may be able to hold the moist better and not get as wet and soaked. Thanks all.
Avoid the swamp situation. Your Redfoot cant sit on water without eventual shell issues.
Use coco coir or orchid bark and just spot clean it when you have to. (If there is poo, just remove that small area.)
Remember, you want high humidity but not a lot of standing water. None actually, except for a small place to drink and if in a large enough enclosure, to soak.
If you cover the top of your enclosure, you'll find it easier to keep in the humidity and maybe get rid of those GIZMOS all together.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'd say firgure out the things you need to get before you go to the store, you may need a few more. tell us more about your setup, heat sources, temperatures, closed top, open top, diet, etc.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I have a tropical uvb light 13 watt Repti Sun brand. And I have a basking light 75 watt which gets it to about 80-90 depending I'm debating on upgrading to 100 watt tho. My humidity gets to around constant 70-80. I have his hide which is like a big cove rock like a cave which he loves and he'll chill right out front his door and watch what's going on haha. Unfortunately the fountain leaked and soaked the inside. But I think I can fix it by taping a plastic peice to the back to cover it. Idk why they don't give you a cover. It's the nation geographic tropical lamp, never ever get the desert one, it's the worst waterfall ever made. I have the top of his cove covered in moss giving it that moist cave look, then near his basking spot I have a pile of moss which he likes to lay on and relax. And also helping the humidity, it's real moss so when I put it in he came right out and walked the whole enclosure sniffing it all lol. I have an auto mister set towards the moss to moist it, and the fogger which flows right by the front of his house, which I think he likes because he's always looking for where it comes from and tries to lay where it comes out on the other side of his house. I do have his house on the cool end of the tank. I have a ramp food dish so he can walk right up and not climb in, and im looking for a better bigger soaking dish cause the ramp one I got isn't deep enough for him. I have the warmer side closed but for now I have the cool side open till I can find another better top. And for his diet I've been pretty much following the guides on here, alot of healthy greens, veggies and he loves strawberries and blue berries, squash ect I give him alot of different things different days following the diet though but keeping it different for him. I read that they like that. I get him cuddle bones which he loves, and im about to try earth worms and I read about a calcium sprinkle for D3 so I'm gonna look into that too. I appreciate all the replies and help!

TMartin510

Fremont, California
So I upgraded the substrate to bark, and cypress mulch forest flooring. I also learned that the uvb light I was using probably wasn't reaching well, so I upgraded to the Repti Sun 10.0 fluorescent uvb lamp and a 100w basking bulb, considering 150 though depending on what you guys think. I also got him some meal worms and some calcium powder for the D3.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I believe the 5.0 one that I had was a compact one. But I switched to the 10.0 one and its the one that goes into the big long lamp that covers most of the terrarium