Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone!!

It's been quite a while since I have given myself the time to go on this site. A lot has changed, it looks great, and there are tonnes of new names :)

Well it turns out that everyone (including myself) was wrong about Zippy's sex-Zippy is in fact a boy, as is Turbo. I really didn't think that they would display sexual signs and behaviours at this age. They often chase each other around taking turns 'playing the male'. My 7 year old regularly reports 'Mom, they're playing piggy-back again' LOL I need to find these guys a gal.

That brings me to my questions:

At what age or length can Hermann's actually breed? If they are showing sexual signs does that mean that they are ready? I thought that they needed to be closer to seven?

Does anyone live in Canada (Ontario) and know of any reputable breeders? The last tortoise I got was from a guy that got busted for smuggling tons of reptiles across the border DOH! I would love to get a couple of females..

Great to be back!

Cheers!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eastern Hermann's, males can successfully mate with females when they're as small as 4" although 4.5-5" is more typical. Females can often produce fertile eggs at as small as 5", 6" and up being more typical. Sexual maturity is often reached sooner with captive raised tortoises. Many grow much more rapidly than their wild counterparts, often doubling in size on an annual basis in comparison.

Are you positive that they are both males?

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thank you!
Yes definitely males. They both popped out little (well maybe not so little) purple surprises during one of their games of 'piggy back' :) Thanks as well for all of the great advice that you gave me for building my outdoor enclosure. It turned out amazing and the fellas were happier than I have ever seen them!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome back :) long time no speak! I did not know you were from Ontario, I am from Quebec! When you have time, you will have to show us some pictures of Zippy and Turbo :) I am sure they are big boys now. You want to breed them?
There are reptile shows in Ontario where they sell Hermanns (I already went to one maybe 2 or 3 years ago).
Here is their website http://www.reptileexpo.ca/

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hi Isa!!

Yes, I got Turbo from a guy I met at the reptile expo- I don't know if you recall; but I had two that passed away :( Petrie and Crush. They were from the guy that I referred to that got busted smuggling reptiles from the US to Canada..it was all over the news..jeesh. I haven't seen any Hermann's since- I also want to be pretty darned positive that they are ladies as I don't think that it would be wise to add another fella to the mix.

I see that you got another Hermann's-congratualations!!! I know that you were hoping to. Popcorn- LOVE the name- I will have to find pics of the pook as I am sure that you have them on here :) I too have added some critters to my mix. I had a baby boy in December :) :) As well that month I had a littler of 7 husky puppies that were ready to go. I also imported two amazing African serval cubs (really cool cats that look like mini Cheetahs) in from the states. BUSY BUSY BUSY-hence my not having time for the computer LOL

Great to hear from you and I will post pics as soon as I have a spare moment...um maybe next year tee hee
Cheers!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Granolagal said:
Hi Isa!!

Yes, I got Turbo from a guy I met at the reptile expo- I don't know if you recall; but I had two that passed away :( Petrie and Crush. They were from the guy that I referred to that got busted smuggling reptiles from the US to Canada..it was all over the news..jeesh. I haven't seen any Hermann's since- I also want to be pretty darned positive that they are ladies as I don't think that it would be wise to add another fella to the mix.

I see that you got another Hermann's-congratualations!!! I know that you were hoping to. Popcorn- LOVE the name- I will have to find pics of the pook as I am sure that you have them on here :) I too have added some critters to my mix. I had a baby boy in December :) :) As well that month I had a littler of 7 husky puppies that were ready to go. I also imported two amazing African serval cubs (really cool cats that look like mini Cheetahs) in from the states. BUSY BUSY BUSY-hence my not having time for the computer LOL

Great to hear from you and I will post pics as soon as I have a spare moment...um maybe next year tee hee
Cheers!!

Yes I remember your 2 babies (. I understand why asked for a breeder, you must be a little uncomfortable to go buy one at the reptile expo with what happened.
Thanks for Popcorn, he is a cutie. Here is the thread I posted when I got him in August.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Popcorn#axzz1ICAYUrZK
Congratulations on the baby boy :D:D:D And on all the new additions. Wow you must be very busy!
I cant wait to see the pictures :D (even if it take a couple of months lol ;) :tort:.
I am so glad you to see you online today :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I know someone locally with a bunch of baby Hermans for sale. I know you wanted to be sure of the sex but if you change your mind shoot me a PM and I'll give you his information.

Status
Not open for further replies.