Zilla Desert Tube lighting

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a tube uvb light for my tourtise tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had used a tube uvb before in an Indoor enclosure and if they could show me their setup. I'm looking to have it hang above my turtles enclosure since I dont have a screen ontip of his cage.
The one I was looking at buying is the Zilla Tube light fixture that comes with a bulb. Retail price is like 37 dollars. (Yikes)
I've seen the fixture themselves sold at lowes and home depot for cheap and then I could just buy the bulb separately. But I was wondering if anyone had done a hanging fixture before and could use advice. Thanks!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I use those. I don’t have a photo handy but when I tested UVB output, I learned that they need to be mounted pretty low to get a decent UV output - preferably less than 12” - and some enclosures won’t allow this. I still like them OK for hatchlings but not great for larger tortoises.

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Thank you! Thats the zilla one, I have a cheaper ace hardware one in my redfoots enclosure. I just made sure it was a T8 fixture like my bulb was and the same length. Both have been working great!
20200622_133139.jpg