ZEROPILOT'S thread got me thinking...and wondering

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I don't have kids and don't plan to. I don't really have much in the way of family either. I'm still fairly young (at least I like to think so), but I often wonder...what will happen to my tortoises and long-lived parrots that I have when I either fall off the face of the earth or get too old and crotchety to care for them?

I am not in a position to do so currently, but I plan to set up some type of a trust fund for my animals as soon as possible. But even with money to care for them, that doesn't mean there will be people to care for them.

So, what plans do any of you have for the long-term care of your tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your next of kin will decide this in your absence. Who is that and what kind of person are they?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are property so put them in your will that way you know they'll be taken care of according to your wishes. I have a friend who put me in his will to take care of his tortoises if he dies and I get his house so I agreed

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Your next of kin will decide this in your absence. Who is that and what kind of person are they?
It will be my sister. She is a good person, but not an animal person and tends not to stay in one place long. I'm hoping I encounter someone else in the meantime.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
they are property so put them in your will that way you know they'll be taken care of according to your wishes. I have a friend who put me in his will to take care of his tortoises if he dies and I get his house so I agreed
That sounds like a good arrangement. I do have my parrots in my will and intend to add my tortoises.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
That sounds like a good arrangement. I do have my parrots in my will and intend to add my tortoises.
Right now I don't have anyone that I feel would be capable or responsible enough to care for my turtles. If I were to die anytime soon (which is completely possible with my track record) they'd have to go to a knowledgeable turtle rescue, like MATTS or similar. Hopefully as I age I will either meet someone that is more knowledgeable than me and would be a good caretaker, or meet someone willing to learn and with a desire and interest in turtle care that I could teach and train etc.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't have kids and don't plan to. I don't really have much in the way of family either. I'm still fairly young (at least I like to think so), but I often wonder...what will happen to my tortoises and long-lived parrots that I have when I either fall off the face of the earth or get too old and crotchety to care for them?

I am not in a position to do so currently, but I plan to set up some type of a trust fund for my animals as soon as possible. But even with money to care for them, that doesn't mean there will be people to care for them.

So, what plans do any of you have for the long-term care of your tortoises?
An interesting question that crossed my mind time and once again, before Ed's post. But I have been 'ignoring' it, and please do not misunderstand me here: I'm not being selfish/nasty/mean. I LOVE OLI! The trouble is that I live alone in a country (Jordan) with very little if ANY interest or care for animals. Therefore, to be honest, I don't have anything in mind.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
An interesting question that crossed my mind time and once again, before Ed's post. But I have been 'ignoring' it, and please do not misunderstand me here: I'm not being selfish/nasty/mean. I LOVE OLI! The trouble is that I live alone in a country (Jordan) with very little if ANY interest or care for animals. Therefore, to be honest, I don't have anything in mind.
Does that scare you at all or have you come to terms with it as best you can?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Right now I don't have anyone that I feel would be capable or responsible enough to care for my turtles. If I were to die anytime soon (which is completely possible with my track record) they'd have to go to a knowledgeable turtle rescue, like MATTS or similar. Hopefully as I age I will either meet someone that is more knowledgeable than me and would be a good caretaker, or meet someone willing to learn and with a desire and interest in turtle care that I could teach and train etc.
I am kind of in the same boat, I have many friends that are animal people...but they all think I'm insane for keeping tortoises and that I am obsessive about their care. They are all also quite a bit older than me so for lack of sounding rude, I've pretty much had to rule all of them out.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I am kind of in the same boat, I have many friends that are animal people...but they all think I'm insane for keeping tortoises and that I am obsessive about their care. They are all also quite a bit older than me so for lack of sounding rude, I've pretty much had to rule all of them out.
All of my good friends are at least 8 years older than me. It's not a big difference, but I don't have any good friends that are within two years of my age nor anyone younger. I also have some friends that are 20+ years older than me. They'd definitely not be able to take care of my turtles when I die.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if you don't make plans and you love your tortoises imagine what will happen if you don't provide for them

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A young man who I know here in Morocco has been helping care for Tidgy and has been looking after her when wifey and I are away for three years.
He loves torts but is in no position yet to have one of his own, but is learning through experience and research.
He is a member here but never posts, just reads up on stuff one day every week.
He is likely to inherit Tidgy when the time comes.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I often think of this too...I'm not sure who I could leave my tortoises with, or if they would even want or care for my tortoises. My family, not likely at all, friends...they are too busy with their lives and kids, career/school. My husband...yeah right! I guess when we have kids, that will be the answer :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I guess I'm lucky on this . My kids already fight on who gets the tortoises . So the boy with the best yard gets them . Most likely my middle son Matt will get them . He's the one you see in tortdads post .

Lexiii

CT
Everyone should make plans asap. Hate to be a downer but we can die at any time (as I am sure you know!). I lost my husband this year and he was 47. Luckily I have my oldest son who is 19. I told him before I bought Tyrion that he will probably out live me and he has to take over.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Everyone should make plans asap. Hate to be a downer but we can die at any time (as I am sure you know!). I lost my husband this year and he was 47. Luckily I have my oldest son who is 19. I told him before I bought Tyrion that he will probably out live me and he has to take over.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That is a very good point though.