Your First Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
We got a call asking if we wanted a "turtle." I assumed water turtle because we have fish ponds. I thought what the heck, bring the little guy over and we'll stick him in the pond. She came in with a big box and something quite large moving around in it. I thought, "what on earth is THAT?!" At first I had no clue what to do so I quickly did my research and was able to accommodate him just fine. It's been a learning experience but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I now have three tortoises! My first (15 yr old male) and second (2 yr old female) are desert tortoises and my third is a sulcata (4 weeks gender?).

Wewt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia, Canada
alysciaingram said:
My first tortoise was a gift. I had been talking about how I wanted a big tortoise roaming around my back yard for quite some time but always thought of them as one would view owning a tiger or lion. My high school sweetheart surprised me one afternoon with Bowser, a sulcata. He brought her home in a salad container. I had done a small amount of research, but nothing in depth, and I was definitely NOT prepared at all. All of a sudden I realized that I had my dream pet, and rushed out to the store to make her a tortoise table (which I still have and use to grow food in). He and I broke up some time after high school and I met my husband, who didn't even know people could own tortoises. It was quite a surprise to him when we moved in together and I brought her with me. I think he expected a cat to be honest.
She has lived in four states with me, and a fantastic companion. I call her my dog tortoise. Now I have four sulcatas but Bowser lives alone in her 15x8 enclosure. I'm excited to know I'm going to have her for the large majority of my life.

Haha! I think of my tortoise as my dog, too. My non-cuddly puppy dog. I share your idea for having huge tortoises roaming the backyard, too! People look at me like I'm crazy for owning a tortoise, but hey- they're awesome, what can you do?

wildchild6771 said:
We got a call asking if we wanted a "turtle." I assumed water turtle because we have fish ponds. I thought what the heck, bring the little guy over and we'll stick him in the pond. She came in with a big box and something quite large moving around in it. I thought, "what on earth is THAT?!" At first I had no clue what to do so I quickly did my research and was able to accommodate him just fine. It's been a learning experience but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I now have three tortoises! My first (15 yr old male) and second (2 yr old female) are desert tortoises and my third is a sulcata (4 weeks gender?).

I'm happy that you fell in love with tortoises after your first little surprise! Now you have a little family. :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Wewt said:
Hey!

Just wondering what it was like when you got your very first tortoise. What species was it? How old? Did you do all of your research before you got it, or did you have to learn as you went? What surprised you most about having a tortoise?

Looking to read some cute / funny / interesting stories.

:)

It was delightful. A Hermann's tortoise. I was six years old and the tortoise was a brand spanking new hatchling I saved from some chickens who had consumed its clutchmates. I had read a great deal about tortoises generally by then, but had not done any specific reading on care before I came to own it. Since I was overseas and my access to my books was cut off, I learned by watching it and what it (and others of its species that I came across) did. I never stopped learning and never will. What surprised me the most was how important to me it became compared to even my initial childhood excitement at the prospect of keeping it. The experience was definitely a key event in my formative years.

Lannen

5 Year Member
Daughter A was working in a pet store. Daughter B got a fantastic new pet for Christmas from Daughter A!

The little guy was a perfect apartment pet. Quiet, didn't bark, wasn't on the banned pet lease list...

And then "Master" began to grow. And grow... then grow some more. He grew to where he needed to start going outside. His inside home was simply not big enough anymore. And eat- he started to eat more and more. Daughter B, on a limited income, decided to do what all kids eventually do with pets-

Dad, guess what!!!

It started slowly at first. "Can you watch Master for a couple of days?"

Days eventually became weeks, weeks became years.

I learned all I could about this guy, and started to prepare my back yard as a tort homestead. I made sure he couldn't see under the fence, because if he could, he would dig. I built him a house, then another bigger one with heat. He was getting too big to come inside during the Florida winters.

He's now got two 'condo's' in the back yard, a big stick hut hide, lot's of room to roam and explore, and a small wading pool. Anyone coming into the back yard must pay an entrance fee in either three pole beans, one azalea, a strawberry or watermelon rind- or be prepared to have your toes tasted... It's now his domain.

He's knows if he stands and stares at the kitchen window long enough a human will eventually come out with treats. His training of us is almost complete. We live to serve...

One day I'll make Daughter B sign over custody- Master's never leaving.

Master.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Lannen said:
Daughter A was working in a pet store. Daughter B got a fantastic new pet for Christmas from Daughter A!

The little guy was a perfect apartment pet. Quiet, didn't bark, wasn't on the banned pet lease list...

And then "Master" began to grow. And grow... then grow some more. He grew to where he needed to start going outside. His inside home was simply not big enough anymore. And eat- he started to eat more and more. Daughter B, on a limited income, decided to do what all kids eventually do with pets-

Dad, guess what!!!

It started slowly at first. "Can you watch Master for a couple of days?"

Days eventually became weeks, weeks became years.

I learned all I could about this guy, and started to prepare my back yard as a tort homestead. I made sure he couldn't see under the fence, because if he could, he would dig. I built him a house, then another bigger one with heat. He was getting too big to come inside during the Florida winters.

He's now got two 'condo's' in the back yard, a big stick hut hide, lot's of room to roam and explore, and a small wading pool. Anyone coming into the back yard must pay an entrance fee in either three pole beans, one azalea, a strawberry or watermelon rind- or be prepared to have your toes tasted... It's now his domain.

He's knows if he stands and stares at the kitchen window long enough a human will eventually come out with treats. His training of us is almost complete. We live to serve...

One day I'll make Daughter B sign over custody- Master's never leaving.

Haha! Awesome story! And what a handsome man you have there! Your girls are lucky to have you. I left my tort with my dad for a few weeks... never again. He stays over at grandma's house (my mom), who calls him her grandtort and babies him as if he were a person. Pretty awesome to have family like that!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I was on holiday in Cyprus when I took a boat trip around the Bay. On this boat was a sealife section which had lots of turtles! I fell in love with them and started talking about getting a RES. On returning home from Cyprus I began researching them and realise I couldn't give a turtle the proper care it needed - but the thought was there for a long time.

About a month later I visited a pet store and the tortoises caught my eye. I spoke with my mum and she was much more prepared to have a tortoise in the house than a "smelly" turtle. Her words NOT mine. I love all animals.

So the research began! And at the time I looked for non-hibernating tortoises, not knowing that you don't HAVE to hibernate a tortoise. I then looked into African species, which lead me to Leopard tortoises.

I then researched pet stores (I know, I know! Shouldve gone to a breeder) and found a reputable one. I emailed and said do they have any females in to which they said yes. Turns out they didn't have a bloody clue. I visited the shop and my excitement was unbareable. I bought the heaviest one and brought 'her' home. She was 12 months old and I named her Milly.

I'd never loved a pet more in my life and did everything for her I possibly could - spent most of my student loan on her and reconstructed my bedroom for her. Its amazing how much you grow to love them. It bugs me when somebody says "but what do they do?!"

10 months down the line I was out in my garden enjoying the sun with Milly when I picked her up. To my surprise something came out of 'her' tail and flashed me! I was like AHHHHH MY MILLY! From that day on, Milly became Marley and I loved him even more :D

1374599994998.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
LeopardTortLover said:
I was on holiday in Cyprus when I took a boat trip around the Bay. On this boat was a sealife section which had lots of turtles! I fell in love with them and started talking about getting a RES. On returning home from Cyprus I began researching them and realise I couldn't give a turtle the proper care it needed - but the thought was there for a long time.

About a month later I visited a pet store and the tortoises caught my eye. I spoke with my mum and she was much more prepared to have a tortoise in the house than a "smelly" turtle. Her words NOT mine. I love all animals.

So the research began! And at the time I looked for non-hibernating tortoises, not knowing that you don't HAVE to hibernate a tortoise. I then looked into African species, which lead me to Leopard tortoises.

I then researched pet stores (I know, I know! Shouldve gone to a breeder) and found a reputable one. I emailed and said do they have any females in to which they said yes. Turns out they didn't have a bloody clue. I visited the shop and my excitement was unbareable. I bought the heaviest one and brought 'her' home. She was 12 months old and I named her Milly.

I'd never loved a pet more in my life and did everything for her I possibly could - spent most of my student loan on her and reconstructed my bedroom for her. Its amazing how much you grow to love them. It bugs me when somebody says "but what do they do?!"

10 months down the line I was out in my garden enjoying the sun with Milly when I picked her up. To my surprise something came out of 'her' tail and flashed me! I was like AHHHHH MY MILLY! From that day on, Milly became Marley and I loved him even more :D

HAHA!

1. I know what you mean when you get irritated when people ask you why the heck you got a tortoise. My dad said, "what's wrong with a dog?" I replied, "no dog is as awesome as the dinosaur I have in my condo."

2. I also had a 'female', and then was flashed with a giant *cough* organ one day when I picked him up. Still in the process of renaming, though! I have a few options written on the white board in my kitchen.

Awesome story!

Status
Not open for further replies.