Young Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan J

5 Year Member
They love being with other sulcatas around their own age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Are you asking a question or just posting your opinion?

I don't think they "love" it. I think that in most cases they tolerate it well at least when they are small. Once they start nearing maturity it is often a different story.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Well we need this kind of posts once in a while. I need something to distract my mind from torts for awhile. Like today, have spent like almost all time since get up in my torts enclosure.

Logan J

5 Year Member
No actually Im 25 and breed different kinds of torts and I do notice they tend to be healthier in groups rather than being alone.

But then I see where y'all are coming from as well but most of my torts have lived in pairs for years

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, if you're asking for opinions, it has been my experience that young sulcatas prefer to be the only tortoise in the kingdom.

Logan J

5 Year Member
Yeah maybe it's because they are both still so young. What diet have you found that worked best? I just feed dry greens and weeds.

Also what about water? I prefer to soak mine every other day.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Logan J said:
Yeah maybe it's because they are both still so young. What diet have you found that worked best? I just feed dry greens and weeds.

Also what about water? I prefer to soak mine every other day.

No grass for them? I'm curious to see them. Can you post pictures of your torts?
Thank you

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
emysemys said:
Well, if you're asking for opinions, it has been my experience that young sulcatas prefer to be the only tortoise in the kingdom.

...and the older ones (like WalkingRock ) think they ARE the only tortoise in the Kingdom!

FYI, WalkingRock was raised with another Sulcata his age.... they had to be seperated after 7 years because of VERY BRUTAL fighting. My wife was hearty broken when we had to re-home Rocky....

Logan J

5 Year Member
ATTACH]

image-1923139545.png

I'm trying its not working

image-4231562066.png

Basically just two of those tortoise houses put together with one of the sides being the hot side and the other the cool side.

I have them in my garage cause it gets a little too cold but on days it's warm I can leave the garage door open allowing natural sunlight in.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
How old are they? How long have you had them? Have you always kept them dry? I'm just curious because they are so smooth and wanted to know what type of husbandry practices you follow.

Logan J

5 Year Member
Well I soak them once every two days in warmish water.

I feed them about three small meals a day consisting of rose petals some romaine and a little bit of mixed veggies.

Think I've had them like exactly 165 days and as of now they have tripled in weight.

I also have:
2 Russians
2 Greeks
1 red
1 res(slider)
1 eastern musk turtle
1 African side neck turtle

All of which live in their own unique enclosures and follow diets that try and come close to their natural settings.
Also use UVA/UVB lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.