Young Sulcata pyramiding. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Sulcata. Age ~15 months. Up until about a month ago (when I joined the Forum) it was on a Tortoise Table with Timothy Hay as the substrate and about 30-40% humidity. Timothy Hay was the main source of food with an occasional fruit. This lasted for about eight months. Totally unacceptable living conditions and I am ashamed to admit it. I only did what the Pet store told me to do though. After finding the forum and talking to you helpful and knowledgeable people, I changed a lot of things. Now the Tort is in a 40gal aquarium with Coconut Coir as the substrate. I mist it to keep it damp. I have a Reptifogger and the humidity stays between 80-85%. I cover the screen top with aluminum foil to keep the humidity and heat in. Daily soaks. Powersun UVA/UVB bulb above the basking spot that stays about 100F. The rest of the enclosure stays about 82F. Humid Hide (tupperware container with Sphagnum Moss). My question is, with the pyramiding that has already occurred, is it still reversible and how long until I see a change? The back scutes near the tail are totally smooth so I don't know if that is a good sign. Please help! I hope I haven't messed this poor Tort up.

Attachments

• DSC_0762.JPG
    DSC_0762.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0761.JPG
    DSC_0761.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 132

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It is not reversible but as long as you keep up the good work, the new growth will be smooth and the pyramiding will be a lot less noticeable. I'm sure as an adult it won't be noticeable at all, if you keep up the humidity and follow all the tips from Toms threads about raising smooth Sulcatas.

In the second pic, his eyes don't seem right to me....are they usually open when he isn't hiding?

kjr153

5 Year Member
Well he/she will lay right under the light in that basking area and spread out and fall asleep. I guess that is ok,does it all the time. It has been awake and eating all morning. I think she/he is just relaxing. :)

theelectraco said:
It is not reversible but as long as you keep up the good work, the new growth will be smooth and the pyramiding will be a lot less noticeable. I'm sure as an adult it won't be noticeable at all, if you keep up the humidity and follow all the tips from Toms threads about raising smooth Sulcatas.

In the second pic, his eyes don't seem right to me....are they usually open when he isn't hiding?

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Don't beat yourslf up kjr153. You haven't messed this tort up. We all make mistakes and you were doing what you thought was best at the time. Sounds like he's on a good track now. While the existing pyramidding will never go away, the new growth, as Theelectraco pointed out, should grow in nice and smooth. Under your care, I'm sure he will grow into a beautiful giant. :)

kjr153

5 Year Member
Thanks for being so nice and encouraging. I hope I can get the shell smoothed out!

mctlong said:
Don't beat yourslf up kjr153. You haven't messed this tort up. We all make mistakes and you were doing what you thought was best at the time. Sounds like he's on a good track now. While the existing pyramidding will never go away, the new growth, as Theelectraco pointed out, should grow in nice and smooth. Under your care, I'm sure he will grow into a beautiful giant. :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes, a lot of us make mistakes in the beginning. The conditions sound good now, although some will probably say a 40 gallon tank is too small for a sulcata that age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey. There is no shame in doing what you were told was best. Most of the "experts", breeders, vets, pet owners and books are STILL telling people to do it the way you did it. I did it all wrong for about 15 YEARS, before I finally figured out how to do it right with a lot of help and influence from a lot of people. How do you think I know what will happen when people raise them all dry? How do you think I know that pyramiding has little to do with sunshine, protein, diet or most of the other things that people say causes it? I learned the hard way after ruining and disfiguring many tortoises shells.

YOU, on the other hand, figured it out really quick. In a few years you won't even be able to tell there was ever a problem. In 10 years your tortoise will be a magnificent giant. There should be no shame in what you've been through.

My request is that now that you know better, TRY to educate as many other tortoise people as you can. Go back to the shop where you got him and explain all this to them. Explain that babies hatch at the start of the rainy season when its hot, wet, humid, marshy, and there are puddles and green growing food everywhere. Wait a few months and take your tortoise back to them and show them the difference. Show them the vertical early growth and the now smooth later growth. You will likely be met with resistance. You might be ridiculed. But eventually enough people will say something and the shop people will figure it out. If you are the first person to mention it, they will likely dismiss you. But you might be the tenth person to mention it. YOU could be the straw that breaks that camel's back. Stay calm, take some deep breaths, and present your case to them. You know from reading my threads what they are gonna say. Be ready for it and try to convince them. The facts are on your side! Even if you fail, you will have planted a seed. Eventually that seed will grow into a tree of knowledge for those people. If no one ever plants the seed, these people will just keep giving the same wrong advice to everyone who comes through the door. I know. I used to be one of those people giving the wrong advice.

My final request if that you get busy building a nice 4x8' closed chamber. A 40 is too small for a 15 month old sulcata. Come on. Get off your duff and start designing and building a masterpiece. :D

Hold your head high. Your tortoise will be one of the lucky ones that does not forever bear the scars of ignorance.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. You rock!

Tom said:
Hey. There is no shame in doing what you were told was best. Most of the "experts", breeders, vets, pet owners and books are STILL telling people to do it the way you did it. I did it all wrong for about 15 YEARS, before I finally figured out how to do it right with a lot of help and influence from a lot of people. How do you think I know what will happen when people raise them all dry? How do you think I know that pyramiding has little to do with sunshine, protein, diet or most of the other things that people say causes it? I learned the hard way after ruining and disfiguring many tortoises shells.

YOU, on the other hand, figured it out really quick. In a few years you won't even be able to tell there was ever a problem. In 10 years your tortoise will be a magnificent giant. There should be no shame in what you've been through.

My request is that now that you know better, TRY to educate as many other tortoise people as you can. Go back to the shop where you got him and explain all this to them. Explain that babies hatch at the start of the rainy season when its hot, wet, humid, marshy, and there are puddles and green growing food everywhere. Wait a few months and take your tortoise back to them and show them the difference. Show them the vertical early growth and the now smooth later growth. You will likely be met with resistance. You might be ridiculed. But eventually enough people will say something and the shop people will figure it out. If you are the first person to mention it, they will likely dismiss you. But you might be the tenth person to mention it. YOU could be the straw that breaks that camel's back. Stay calm, take some deep breaths, and present your case to them. You know from reading my threads what they are gonna say. Be ready for it and try to convince them. The facts are on your side! Even if you fail, you will have planted a seed. Eventually that seed will grow into a tree of knowledge for those people. If no one ever plants the seed, these people will just keep giving the same wrong advice to everyone who comes through the door. I know. I used to be one of those people giving the wrong advice.

My final request if that you get busy building a nice 4x8' closed chamber. A 40 is too small for a 15 month old sulcata. Come on. Get off your duff and start designing and building a masterpiece. :D

Hold your head high. Your tortoise will be one of the lucky ones that does not forever bear the scars of ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.