Young redfoot tortoise behaviour. help

Blair64

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi I have less than a year old redfoot tortoise, I have had him for 3 months now. I am concerned about his behaviour.
he Dosent seem to eat much and if he does it’s usually banana. He sleeps a lot. And I know this isn’t advised but to get him active I let him out his enclosure. With very close attention, this is the only time his is really that active. Temps are good all day round and soo is uvb. I’m just not sure what normal young behaviour is of a tort and wondering if this is normal.I have attached photos of him and enclosure. Hope youse can be of help thank you

Attachments

• 57BC5FF6-D6AD-4988-AF5E-1C8B7288792D.jpeg
    57BC5FF6-D6AD-4988-AF5E-1C8B7288792D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 1CE2CDE3-D4D2-43F7-91E2-79EA157C0FC1.jpeg
    1CE2CDE3-D4D2-43F7-91E2-79EA157C0FC1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • D0918E88-A3A9-4ACD-A4B1-4F4146D6673A.jpeg
    D0918E88-A3A9-4ACD-A4B1-4F4146D6673A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
That baby face ?

Young ones do sleep a lot, but they should have an appetite.

It is okay to take him out for a soak once a day. After a daily soak, you can spend a little time with him and try to hand-feed before putting him back in the enclosure. I used to give dried shrimps as a treat after a soak.

Regarding your question:

1. Does he pee/poop? Dehydration is possible. Do you have a cover to maintain ambient humidity? He needs 80%+ humidity through the whole enclosure.

2. Do you ever see him in the water bowl? Bowls with ledges may discourage self-soaking/drinking, which is one reason why terracotta saucers are recommended.

3. What else do you try to feed? Snubbing greens isn't unusual, but what about lean proteins? Stinky stuff like fish/shrimp or low fat cat food is often irresistible. Does he turn up his nose at other foods if you mash it up with the banana? Try to leave something to eat 24/7, and just replace wet/spoiled stuff as necessary.

4. Will he willingly eat cuttlebone or egg shells to get his calcium? Speaking from experience, some tortoises will avoid eating food with powder on it as long as possible.

As a generic suggestion, some more cover would also help him feel more safe since they are a forest species. Fake plants are okay to use.

Blair64

Scotland
Hi thank you for your reply

1. yes he does. Usually during his morning bath every few days. although it’s not covered I do soak very regularly threw out the day

2.yes a few times I have came home and he has been in his water bowl. He has no problem getting in and out

3.no I haven’t tried him with much rich protein foods, what do you recommend ?

4.I have a cuttle fish available for him. I also dust his banana and other food( he Dosent seem to mind the dust)

also I will grab more wood

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You mention that the temperature is good without mentioning what it is
And that the UVB is good without describing what you are using
Small Redfoot do hide a lot. But they are also voracious eaters. If yours isn't eating, something is off a bit.
What are you offering for food?

Blair64

Scotland
You mention that the temperature is good without mentioning what it is
And that the UVB is good without describing what you are using
Small Redfoot do hide a lot. But they are also voracious eaters. If yours isn't eating, something is off a bit.
What are you offering for food?
Basking spot 90
Warm side 80
Basking lamp also provides uvb
In addition a 24w t5 6% forest uvb bulb

All types of green, anything that is suggested I give, banana and watermelon also. Mezuri tortoise diet is also offered regularly. A variety of weeds and grass also (dandelion mostly)

Blair64

Scotland
That baby face ?

Young ones do sleep a lot, but they should have an appetite.

It is okay to take him out for a soak once a day. After a daily soak, you can spend a little time with him and try to hand-feed before putting him back in the enclosure. I used to give dried shrimps as a treat after a soak.

Regarding your question:

1. Does he pee/poop? Dehydration is possible. Do you have a cover to maintain ambient humidity? He needs 80%+ humidity through the whole enclosure.

2. Do you ever see him in the water bowl? Bowls with ledges may discourage self-soaking/drinking, which is one reason why terracotta saucers are recommended.

3. What else do you try to feed? Snubbing greens isn't unusual, but what about lean proteins? Stinky stuff like fish/shrimp or low fat cat food is often irresistible. Does he turn up his nose at other foods if you mash it up with the banana? Try to leave something to eat 24/7, and just replace wet/spoiled stuff as necessary.

4. Will he willingly eat cuttlebone or egg shells to get his calcium? Speaking from experience, some tortoises will avoid eating food with powder on it as long as possible.

As a generic suggestion, some more cover would also help him feel more safe since they are a forest species. Fake plants are okay to use.

Hi thank you for your reply

1. yes he does. Usually during his morning bath every few days. although it’s not covered I do soak very regularly threw out the day

2.yes a few times I have came home and he has been in his water bowl. He has no problem getting in and out

3.no I haven’t tried him with much rich protein foods, what do you recommend ?

4.I have a cuttle fish available for him. I also dust his banana and other food( he Dosent seem to mind the dust)

also I will grab more wood

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Basking spot 90
Warm side 80
Basking lamp also provides uvb
In addition a 24w t5 6% forest uvb bulb

All types of green, anything that is suggested I give, banana and watermelon also. Mezuri tortoise diet is also offered regularly. A variety of weeds and grass also (dandelion mostly)
If that is a screw in MVB or a screw in Coiled or Spiral UVB bulb, that could very well be the issue..
Those are not suitable for a Redfoot.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Redfoot live in the tropical rainforests of Brazil and other South American countries. They are covered by the tree canopy, so the lighting is dim.

A MVB is very bright, and along with your T5, he may be getting too much UVB and too bright light. Redfoot do not need a basking light since they're shaded, so they don't bask.

Try turning off the MVB and leave it off. If you use a CHE at night for heat, if it's too cold in the day without the MVB, use the CHE to warm it up.

Hopefully, getting rid of that bulb will get him back on track.

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
You tortoise might be spoiled by liking to eat just fruits. I know my red foot tortoises run for fruit, but I provide fruits occasionally (once per 1-2 weeks). You should get him used to eating good greens and vegetables. Once this done he'll eat everything just fine. How often do you feed fruits?