Young african sidenecks trying to hibernate???

AndreaWC

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have two young turtles - about 2 inches and about 4 inches diameter - that I put in a new habitat (40 gallon long with ramps to a sand/dirt box, UV light, heat lamps over the 'beach', rocks on the bottom, external cannister filter). They have pretty much dug into the sand and not come out and I am worried about them! Is this okay? Should I remove the sand box? Not sure what to think. Thanks for any advice ... - Andrea

AndreaWC

Georgia
The water is heated to about 70-ish. They have rocks along the side of the sand box to bask on, but they keep choosing to bury themselves in the sand. Think raising the water temp will help? Their previous tank had water about the same temp, nice basking spot which they used a lot, but no sand.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
None of my turtles have 'tried' to hibernate, they've never even slowed down! How hot are their basking temps? Maybe try a little water heater.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have the turtles stopped eating? If yes, I would personally remove the sand and replicate what they had before, what they had before that they used.....keep the sand at hand--and this way you will see if they will resume normal behavior....if not then you will need to decide what your next move will be...

AndreaWC

Georgia
So I figured out that one turtle was aggressing on another and removed the aggressor, guess Ill be setting up a new habitat, lol. The two still in that original habitat seem to be out now, will continue checking on them today and if they aren't eating/swimming normally now Ill remove the sand like you said. Thanks for all the tips.

The aggressing turtle has always been very friendly/nonaggressive in the past, not sure what is going on with her. She came to me as an adult about 6 years ago, I really don't know how old she is. I noticed when I was moving her that she has sort of a hold in her plastron, its maybe a the size of a pencil point, but looks deep. No idea how that could have happened. How should I treat it? She is acting normal other than being more aggressive towards one of the younger turtles.