You know you have a tortoise when...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
All of the above and
  • When you stop going to social gatherings straight after work because you have to get home to see/soak your tort before he/she goes to bed.
  • When your electricity bill shoots up and the provider wants to inspect your meter in case its faulty
  • When people you see regularly on your weed collection walks start calling you 'the tortoise lady' (hopefully not because you look or walk like one!)
  • When you start to borrow neighbours' dogs to take on these walks so you don't look too strange walking along looking at the ground

I thought I was just being obsessive I'm so glad it's not just me!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
When the first order of business when arriving to the golf course is asking the greens keeper if there are areas of untreated fescue... and you're packing shears in a plastic bag!
and they're probably as happy as you when you take it away!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hadn't thought of that! AZtortMom! Maybe my elec co. don't really want to come and inspect my meter for faults - they just want to snoop around my house. Hope they don't see my blender full of ground up grass!!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hadn't thought of that! AZtortMom! Maybe my elec co. don't really want to come and inspect my meter for faults - they just want to snoop around my house. Hope they don't see my blender full of ground up grass!!
The letter was actually pretty funny, at least I thought it was. My husband on the other hand didn't find it as amusing:p

phebe121

When you feed the torts before your boyfriend

When there poop doesnt freak you out when.its dryed in the enclosure and you pick it up with your hand(but you scrub your hands after)

When.all you plant in your yard is for the torts

When you give the torts well look overs every day(head to tail)

When theres always coconut coir some where in your house floor,sink,tub

I could go on forever

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
When you get a nasty letter from the power company saying you use the most electricity on the block, and they are suspicious of illegal activity;)
That is my case

When you install solar panel because you are using way too much electricity............

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
When you get a nasty letter from the power company saying you use the most electricity on the block, and they are suspicious of illegal activity;)
I've been waiting on the cops to show up . Because I have an old lady that lives behind my yard and she watches my every move . I go in my tortoises shed every morning and night to check on everything . Some times I come out with uneaten greens that looks like dried weed . Haha They can't see inside because I close the door behind me so not to let heat out . If I go back there they are looking . You would think they would see two 60/70ish pounds tortoises walking around .

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I've been waiting on the cops to show up . Because I have an old lady that lives behind my yard and she watches my every move . I go in my tortoises shed every morning and night to check on everything . Some times I come out with uneaten greens that looks like dried weed . Haha They can't see inside because I close the door behind me so not to let heat out . If I go back there they are looking . You would think they would see two 60/70ish pounds tortoises walking around .
That's awesome:)

Mavrik

Surprisingly, I have not had this happen yet. Though my neighbors think I have some kind of funky night light in my kitchen, because my kitchen window glows red from the heat lamps.

... You have some awesome night lights from the heat lamps...
... You compulsively clean your bathtub so you know it's clean when you go to give your torts a soaking...
... You look at houses to buy, and mark some off because they don't have sufficient space for both your tortoises and your dogs in the backyard...
... The coupons you get at the store are all baby food and Pedialyte, even though you don't have human children...

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I too have been considering solar panels and even wondering if I could fit a small windmill on top of my washing line post to help with the bills!

Also looking at houses with bigger gardens and conservatories that are for sale. My family have owned my present home since I was a baby and when my Mum died I bought the house and moved back so I am very sentimental about it, and it would be a wrench to leave, but I realise that when you have a tortoise you have to consider their needs too and while we are OK for now she will outgrow my garden eventually.

puffy137

1) When family members ask for lettuce & I say no , its for my tortoises .
2) When you have to round up the babies & fence them off each morning so the adults don't scoff all their lettuce .
3)When you decide due to their origins they need a faux parthanon to house them.
4) When you squat on your haunches in a public park to collect clover from a lovely verdant patch , & some nosy female who obviously has no knowledge of weeds , asks if you have permission !!!!
5) When you dumpster dive for large planks of discarded stryofoam for housing & tell your friend to cover her face so no one will know she is with you:D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
When you the one that have to make coffee in the morning because your wife are busying to say Good Morning to all the torts~~

That is what happen in my house every morning...We LOVE IT! ! :D:D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
......when you don't want to go to work anymore because you'd rather spend the whole day watching your torty doing practically nothing all day - but it's still fascinating!