You know you have a tortoise when...

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
...people at the grocery store think you're extremely healthy, but its actually all for your tortoise

... people think you garden, when truth is your yard looks kinda crappy and all those supplies are for the torts.

I don't think a thread like this has been done before, but seem pretty fun, add in ones as you please :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
...when you grow weeds, instead of pulling them.

...when you ask people for the weeds out of their yards.

...when you think "this could make a great tortoise house." or "this would be awesome for the tortoises!" when you see every day items.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...when you water your weeds and discourage your spouse from using the typical lawn chemicals that would make your yard look fantastic.
... when you can envision al the tortoise pens you'd make as you drive by any piece of property.
... when a tree falls and your first though is, "All right. More tortoise pen decorations."

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
...when you grow weeds, instead of pulling them.

...when you ask people for the weeds out of their yards.

...when you think "this could make a great tortoise house." or "this would be awesome for the tortoises!" when you see every day items.
Oh I entirely forgot the weeds idea lol my family thinks i'm crazy for growing dandelions and clover in pots in the winter!

... when you laugh at people complaining about needing to find a dog-sitter

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
...when you should have a special spot at the pet store because of how often you're there...
...none of the decorative plants you put in the yard survive more than a week...
And-
You know people think you're really weird when...
...you go to Tractor Supply and when they ask, you're buying these hay cubes for your tortoise, not your horse...
EDIT-
Smarch, from your enclosure thread, you're totally right! :D
...when you buy 5 10lb block of coco coir at the Home Depot, and it's not for plants, it's for your tortoise...

Last edited:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
...when you get excited about poop much more than normal people and even post pictures of it.

... same as above with reproductive body parts being flashed at you.

... and the fact that neither of those are weird here

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When you buy a large plastic pond liner from Lowe's and people in line remark that you'll have a really pretty pond, but you explain it's part of an indoor tortoise enclosure...and they give you blank looks. :)

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
...when you dig up plants from around the yard and replant in an enclosure.
...when you have dirt in your bath tub.
...when you spend to much time on this forum.
-Dirt in the bath tub= lol, all the time!
-The assistants at Home Depot/Lowes ask you what project you're working on and causing you to go off on a long detailed explanation of your next enclosure build (complete with design sketches), they get a glazed look of panic when they realize they were not prepared for your answer.
-When someone tells you that lettuce is "rabbit food" you correct them with "nope, it's tortoise food," but they don't get the joke.
-You sigh whenever someone asks about your "turtles" and resist the urge to correct them for the tenth time.
-When you refer to your pets as "the sassiest rocks with legs you'll ever meet."

Heather H

N.E. ohio
when you are cutting up greens for a smoothie and have a bowl sitting there to be filled.
when your husband freaks out because i forgot to flush toilet after tuxy's bath and there was alien stuff floating in the toilet.
when I spend all of my time on here and doing research.
when i fell in love with him on the first day :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
..."I found a cute turtle____ for you" -and end up with ridiculous amounts of turtle trinkets (not complaining though!!)

(as stated above) "turtle" :mad::mad::mad:

You cant help but get really excited when people use the term "tortoise" or ask if he's a tortoise or turtle rather than just assuming "turtle" covers all shelled beings.

you cant help but smile when people talk about their pets because you know you have the coolest pet

When you get excited about meeting someone in "real life" who has a tortoise

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
...when you tell people "it's for my tortoise" and get weird looks.
...when your whole FaceBook page is posts from friends & family of tortoise related things.
IE. buying calcium carbonate from a feed store.
Haha...the "weird look" get it quite often just because I say it's for my tortoises!! The hell with them haha