You know, there is this thing on the internet called "Tortoise Forum"

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For the rare few of you that go to group meetings of special interest groups, how do you manage this??

I routinely go to meeting of the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society, mostly for a night out and to meet-up with a few friends, and sometime the topic. Mostly the meet-up.

So last Friday I was directed to a couple who had a Cal Desert Tortoise to offer advise on how to maintain them over the winter and not hibernate. To not interrupt the meeting itself I threw out some very quick factoids, Keep night time temps no less than 75 ambient and day time no less than high 80 to mid 90. Keep the tortoise hydrated.

I exchanged e-mail addresses and filled in the info a bit more. . . along with 'I'm Will on www.tortoiseforum.org and there you will essentially get a moderated discussion as well as refined answers with all the time you like to read."

One of the people I sat with said something like more TFO converts or referrals or something like that. But that friend was 100% correct, I was already planning on suggesting they post their inquiry here.

I in no way shape or form would discourage attending local interest group meetings no matter the social or political climate of the group. In person interaction is a great thing. However I also don't find myself well able to help someone with a somewhat big question in a few minutes of an verbal response that may be available during a meeting. I've never liked the 'here's a recipe' kind of answer. The person getting a recipe will follow what they think it means blindly (too often) and not think for themselves or the benefit if the animal.

I want to hear about what they sorted out for themselves down the road, not that a recipe worked or did not.

Sometimes I kid around and think that the people who attend these meetings are not internet savvy enough to embrace all the dialogue available on the internet, or maybe they think it's all about some jackA$$ in Nigeria trying to get them to reveal secret bank information. I don't know, maybe they too want the enjoyable aspect of the meeting. It is enjoyable.

But how to bridge the not so simple question to here where the simple question could end up being months of reading? That's okay, but what about the tortoise?

Is it unethical, do you think, to potentially be a 'poacher' of people from group meetings to here? I like both.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think both have their place and I only wish there was a tort group near me. I would definitely join to meet people and maybe find and offer to be a tort sitter.

There are facebook groups and one used to have meetings with speakers etc an hour's drive away from me but they seemed to have stopped last year. To be honest it was too far to travel on a work night any way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because a Google search for turtle and tortoise information brings you right to the Forum, on the first page of results, and usually the first answer, I'm really amazed that not many folks in our local tortoise club belong to the Forum. I think they're internet snobs???

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I can't actually understand why anyone in their right mind would belong to another tortoise forum, or if they have a tortoise not come here.
I'd love to go to a group, meet fellow tortoise lovers and go out for a beer or ten and start a fight about cfls or humidity, but i'm happy doing it here without the beer. Even when I do get stroppy and storm off in a huff, I know i'll be back, there's no better place to read, talk and learn. For Tidgy's sake and other torts I encounter, as much as for me.
I've visited lots of forums and even joined one or two, but either they're rubbish, aggressive or the good ones seem not to have enough active members to make them properly viable.
And @Will , do you mean to tell me that my good, e-mail, Nigerian buddy who has promised me a fortune was just after my bank details ?
Oops! :oops:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am a moderator of an IT forum aimed at education establishments. It astonishes me sometimes how people seem proud not to be a part of it.

One bloke walked up to me at a trade show and told me he couldn't see the point of it because if he needed anything he just went straight to the manufacturer's website.

I didn't bother arguing with him. Most people join the forum because what's on the manufacturers' sites is wrong or doesn't work. Quite frequently the forum diagnoses the issue before the manufacturer. Same applies to this forum.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I enjoy internet forums of all stripes. I check in daily on a motorcycle forum, a kayaking forum and the TFO.

I think they are a great way to get information, communicate with like minded people and connect with tons of brains that you would otherwise never have a chance to meet without the internet.

Plus I think forums are a great way to get new/used gear (or torts!) pertaining to your hobby without spending tons of money.

I too wish there was a local turtle/tortoise club that met in person. Especially if there was some volunteer/charity aspect to it.

Interesting thoughts, thanks Will.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because a Google search for turtle and tortoise information brings you right to the Forum, on the first page of results, and usually the first answer, I'm really amazed that not many folks in our local tortoise club belong to the Forum. I think they're internet snobs???
Internet snobs, or too set in the mind set that they know it all and there is nothing on a tortoise forum they could learn? That's more of what I think. I'd be interested in knowing how willing the Internet age would join a forum compared to before Internet.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't see a problem with it. You aren't poaching. You are offering them another avenue. They can continue to do both. Some people prefer face to face meetings. I'd love to have a local group maybe for the socialization aspect, but I do better when I have something written that I can keep referring to, and I love being able to post a question at any time and get an answer quickly, rather than waiting for the next meeting, at which time I may no longer remember my question.

Some people aren't Internet savvy at all and wouldn't know how to find the forum or how to join and post.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Will, you would be doing a more injustice if you didn't mention this forum when someone is seeking advice on tortoises or turtles. What they do with your suggestion to join TFO is out of your control, but not to mention a good source like this forum is criminal.

Squirt16

London
Internet snobs, or too set in the mind set that they know it all and there is nothing on a tortoise forum they could learn? That's more of what I think. I'd be interested in knowing how willing the Internet age would join a forum compared to before Internet.
Could you please give me some advice, I have posted on my account :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Could you please give me some advice, I have posted on my account :/

Not understanding what you mean. Where are you asking for advice, and what kind of advice to you need?