YOLK SAC

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I have hatched hundreds of Russian tortoises and this is the first time that one has been born with a yoke sac that had not already been absorbed at the time of hatching.

This one hatched on 7-6-21. The yoke sac has gotten smaller, but I would think that it should be a lot smaller by now. I have been keeping the baby on wet paper towels and a wet doughnut. The hatchling is in the incubator. The hatchling did not hatch prematurely and weighed 19 grams at the time it hatched. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 52

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have hatched hundreds of Russian tortoises and this is the first time that one has been born with a yoke sac that had not already been absorbed at the time of hatching.

This one hatched on 7-6-21. The yoke sac has gotten smaller, but I would think that it should be a lot smaller by now. I have been keeping the baby on wet paper towels and a wet doughnut. The hatchling is in the incubator. The hatchling did not hatch prematurely and weighed 19 grams at the time it hatched. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
The yolk sac does look abnormally large, but there is really nothing you can do other than to keep doing what you are doing and hope it gradually resorbs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always thought they were suppose to be hatched with the yolk sac attached and not absorbed. So many pictures are posted of hatchlings with their sac.
I thought my hatchlings were slow at coming out of their eggs, because non had a sac attached.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Some people use a deep bed of wet moss with yolks this big to keep pressure off the membrane.

It does happen.

*vibes*

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people use a deep bed of wet moss with yolks this big to keep pressure off the membrane.

It does happen.

*vibes*
I wouldn't recommend that. Babies eat whatever is near them. I've seen footage of a baby literally sticking its head out of the egg and taking a bite of the media. I've seen mine do it too.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
@Carol S : Due to your good advice and coaching, one of my three clutches of Russian eggs is hatching! So far three healthy babies from a clutch of four eggs. Thank you so much!
Congratulations, I am so happy to hear that your Russian tortoise eggs are hatching. Baby Russian tortoises are so adorable.