Yet another Newbie

Zanaba

Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, AL
Hey everyone, I have to say I am really happy to have stumbled upon this forum and see that it is still active. Seems forums are starting to die out, which is a shame.

But anyway, I am James from Mobile, AL. I've always wanted a turtle ever since I was a kid(was a HUGE Ninja Turtle fan), I am 32 now, but never got one. Well I grew up, joined the Army, and spent 12 years bouncing around from place to place. Now that I am out and settled down in civilian life I am looking to finally getting my turtle. I am looking at eastern or ornate box turtles. I already have plans drawn out for an indoor terrarium for it as well as an outdoor terrarium that it can spend a few hours a day in when it is nice out.

I do have a few questions but will post them in the correct forum instead of junking up the intro section.

But I am really excited about FINALLY getting a turtle and building some really cool indoor and outdoor stuff for it.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn about tortoises... I'm very grateful for all of the experienced keepers here.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi James, and welcome!

Building enclosures is one of the best parts (for me) about having tortoises. I think you'll find your new little box turtle will be most happy outside.

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Hi James, this place is great! I have an Eastern Box turtle, had it for about 12 years now. If you get one that is captive produced, you will have a better chance of it adapting to an indoor enclosure. If you get one that has been kept outdoors for years, it will prefer outdoors. Mine prefers outdoors so much that I gave up trying to house it indoors. As long as they can dig down, they escape high temps and cold temps. Read the care info on this site for specifics about that. All box turtles require moisture in the soil and a shallow pool to soak in. They are more carnivorous than you might think, although that might be species dependent. That was something I did not know when I got mine. Now I have to have a supply of bugs on hand always, so be aware of that.

Zanaba

Mobile, AL
Thanks for the Info, I am planning to get a separate little vase I guess, or like a small goldfish bowl, to place some dirt in with some earthworms so I can keep them on hand. You're right, they are more carnivorous than I realized. I've been doing some reading about them, and I guess I never really thought about them eating and hunting down bugs and stuff. We have a lot of wild turtles where I live, actually there is one that always hangs around my house, I will have to take a picture of it. But I kind of just let it be seeing that it is wild.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the Info, I am planning to get a separate little vase I guess, or like a small goldfish bowl, to place some dirt in with some earthworms so I can keep them on hand. You're right, they are more carnivorous than I realized. I've been doing some reading about them, and I guess I never really thought about them eating and hunting down bugs and stuff. We have a lot of wild turtles where I live, actually there is one that always hangs around my house, I will have to take a picture of it. But I kind of just let it be seeing that it is wild.
I cut a plastic barrel in half and use the bottom half. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage, set it in all day shade, filled it halfway with rich soil and leaves, then I add my daily kitchen garbage to it (egg shells, potato peels, etc) and keep it moist. I keep it covered with a scrap of plywood. To get it started I added a couple tubs of red worms from the bait store. And if you keep it moist enough native worms will enter through the drain holes and add to the population.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey everyone, I have to say I am really happy to have stumbled upon this forum and see that it is still active. Seems forums are starting to die out, which is a shame.

But anyway, I am James from Mobile, AL. I've always wanted a turtle ever since I was a kid(was a HUGE Ninja Turtle fan), I am 32 now, but never got one. Well I grew up, joined the Army, and spent 12 years bouncing around from place to place. Now that I am out and settled down in civilian life I am looking to finally getting my turtle. I am looking at eastern or ornate box turtles. I already have plans drawn out for an indoor terrarium for it as well as an outdoor terrarium that it can spend a few hours a day in when it is nice out.

I do have a few questions but will post them in the correct forum instead of junking up the intro section.

But I am really excited about FINALLY getting a turtle and building some really cool indoor and outdoor stuff for it.
Welcome to the forum! There are so many cool things to learn here, and lots of helpful folks that are always willing to answer questions as well! Have fun!