Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I guess I've never shown my pair of YF tortoises. I got the female from a clubmember about 4 years ago and the male a couple years ago. She's about a foot long and he's about 8". His shell is very rough, like sand paper, and the growth spaces are indented. He came to me like that. She's a very pretty specimen, probably wild caught. Hard to see them because they live in a jungle. They're under the orange tree in this shot:

yellowfoots-1.jpg

And the male again:

yellowfoots-2.jpg

I think he's stunted for some reason or another. He hasn't grown or gained any weight since I've had him.

Then a couple years ago, a gal from the L.A. area brought me some Cherry head babies (adopted out to Terry (nerd)), some redfoot babies (adopted out to another forum member) and a yellowfoot baby. I kept him. He's growing very nicely and is almost as big now as my original male. But the original fights with him something awful, so I have to keep them separate:

yellowfoots-3.jpg

And last but not least are my babies. I hatched these out about maybe 3 years ago. I didn't do a very good job on growing them smooth. Terry (nerd) said I fed them too much, but I think I kept them too dry. The one on the left has a split scute and a deformity along her hips that grows funny and they're both bumpy:

yellowfoots-4.jpg

And another shot of the one on the left:

yellowfoots-5.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thank you again Yvonne.. those little cherryhead guys are doing great.

Actually it may be a combo of diet and low humidity that had the affect on those Yellowfoot youngsters.. that caused the bumpiness. They do look quite dry in those pics. Can you create a jungle for them also?

NERD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've seen you post pictures of your Yellowfoots before Yvonne. I think you posted there enclosure one time. I love your babies there eyes are so big.:D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nice Yellowfoots Yvonne :) Your babies are so cute, Candy is right, Their eyes are so big, so that makes them cuter and cuter :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was re-reading this thread and I thought, "How dumb...to have a whole thread dedicated to your YF tortoises then to show such a crappy picture of them."

So I went and rounded them all up, washed them off, and took better pictures just now.

Here are the adult pair (and I was wrong about the male. He's almost same SCL as the female, just not as wide. However, he weighs as much as she does):

yellowfoots7-4-10e.jpg

I don't handle my tortoises, they live wild here, so this is as good as its going to get...sorry!

yellowfoots7-4-10f.jpg

yellowfoots7-4-10g.jpg

I think its interesting that these two tortoises anal scutes are identical. Usually male/female shows quite a difference. She is the mother of my babies, though, so I KNOW she's female. He has the really deep concave plastron, so he really looks male.

And here are the three offspring of that female. Same clutch, but the bigger one was a great eater as a baby:

yellowfoots7-4-10c.jpg

yellofoots7-4-10b.jpg

This is the young male and him again with the larger of the babies:

yellowfoots7-4-10d.jpg

yellowfoots7-4-10a.jpg

Its really too bad we have to learn how to take care of our animals correctly at their expense. The babies are so bumpy.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, I love the photos with the washed shells because the color really comes through... they look like a piece of polished hardwood.

The adult male really does have a smooth shell, but I don't think you should beat yourself up over the babies' bumpiness, Yvonne. If they were in the wild they would not all still be alive probably...they have a safe, climate-controlled "jungle" to live in at your place, so their quality of life is undoubtedly better thanks to your care. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Its really too bad we have to learn how to take care of our animals correctly at their expense. The babies are so bumpy.

Great pics. Thanks for the "new and improved posting".

I wholeheartedly share the above sentiment, however, Stephanie also makes a very good point. I don't think I'll ever stop feeling bad about it, personally.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well Yvonne if you don't handle them then how did they get flipped over in that one picture? :p :D Great pictures. They are so much better then the first set you posted. Beautiful tortoises they are. I'm guessing that they like to being out there in the sun? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, actually, they don't. They have deep cover in their pen, and they stay in it most of the time. I'm thinking that's why their eyes are so big...because they don't spend much time in the sun. The YF aren't as "pretty" as the RF tortoises, and mine have no personality, but I really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.