Yellowfoots and redfoots being housed together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluras

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone,
I was thinking about getting another tortoise, I have been concidering this for quite some time now and I think I want to get a little redfoot. I was wondering if they may get along with yellowfoots or not...or even if anyone has any information on the subject. I dont want to cause problems with the torts. but when they get big enough that I have to put them outside, I would like to know that Im not going to run into any REALLY serious problems before I go and get one and get attached. If getting another Yellowfoot is in the cards then I would love to. I was just wondering about complications or just everyones input. Thanks so much
~Aaron

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It's fine to mix Redfoots and Yellowfoots Aaron. It does help though to do it with CB to CB or WC to WC.

I'm puzzled though as it says you already have a Redfoot in your signature. :p

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I keep my red foot and yellow foot torts together and they get along just fine. They're basically the same animal from similar habitats.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Reds- and Yellows- seem to work fine together- although some keepers notice that the more aggressive Red-foots tend to dominate the Yellows, which might be stressful- but can probably be minimized with a larger habitat.

My concern is that you seem to be assembling a 'postage stamp' collection- one or two each of several species, many with very different needs. That is not a problem with some species, but Red- and Yellow-foots do best in groups of the same species.

I would suggest getting more of the same species first for the happiness of the tortoises rather than adding more species to the collection. Just remember- the groups should have more females than males, and Yellow-foot males fight (many keepers report the same with 'cherryhead' Red-foots).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Any other time we would be tellign you " no don't mix tort species" but from what I understand red's and yellow's are from the same region, so I see no problem, but I would try to keep equal sizes together to cut down on food bullying.

aluras

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
It's fine to mix Redfoots and Yellowfoots Aaron. It does help though to do it with CB to CB or WC to WC.

I'm puzzled though as it says you already have a Redfoot in your signature. :p

Danny

Oh yeah that does seem wierd given the wording in my question. I have a larger female Redfoot around 7" and Im not going to house a little one with her...thats why I was wondering about housing the RF and YF together. Thanks so much Danny
~Aaron

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Reds- and Yellows- seem to work fine together- although some keepers notice that the more aggressive Red-foots tend to dominate the Yellows, which might be stressful- but can probably be minimized with a larger habitat.

My concern is that you seem to be assembling a 'postage stamp' collection- one or two each of several species, many with very different needs. That is not a problem with some species, but Red- and Yellow-foots do best in groups of the same species.

I would suggest getting more of the same species first for the happiness of the tortoises rather than adding more species to the collection. Just remember- the groups should have more females than males, and Yellow-foot males fight (many keepers report the same with 'cherryhead' Red-foots).

I've never seen a Redfoot even try to bow up to a Yellowfoot. I've had many Yellowfoots that would manage to flip everyone over, whether it was a Red or Yellowfoot........9 times out of 10 they were Females too....

Status
Not open for further replies.