Status
Not open for further replies.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I've kept a large Redfoot group for a number of years and give them a meal of the proplan weight mngmt dry cat kibble moistened about once every 7-10 days. The go after it until it's gone. I aquired a beautiful adult 3/2 group of Yellowfoots about 10 months ago and they show no interest in this form of protein. Just wondering what other YF keepers are using.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
t_mclellan said:
I use "Trout Chow" or "Game Fish" food.
Rats & Mice are allways good too.
I've never fed carrion. How much of the rodent bodies are consumed?

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
REDFOOTMATT said:
t_mclellan said:
My Yellows don't even seemed interested in boiled chicken breasts. The Reds scarffed it. Guess I should try the Trout Chow. They appear healthy and heavy, I'm just concearned I'm not getting enough protein. They seem very different than the Reds in this respect.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
They are different, & yet very similar seemingly.
From what I have seen with the few YF groups near enough to see regularly.
It seems that with good climate (temp. & hum.) & enough space & cover they do as well as RF's. We feed a LOT to all our animals, More than most would think proper.
The key is space to roam & exercise. Animals need to be able to use the energy they get from their food or it does more harm than good.
Our YF's take greens, fruit & mazuri readily.
I see them eating bugs snails & lizards.
Only 1 (out of 10) has eaten chicken. Although I have only offered it to them twice.
I have never had trouble with ANY tortoise eating trout chow, game fish chow or mazuri "Crocodile" biscuits . These we always have as there is a sizeable number of water turtles & crocodilians to deal with between my partner(s) & I.
2.8 YF's are in a new 70 x 20 pen. 1.5 Fred has had for decades & 1.3 I purchased last year & last week were added to the group.

100_3910a.jpg

Fred.

100_3822.jpg

Old group.

100_3874a.jpg

New pen.

100_3914.jpg

Old group / New pen.

100_3915.jpg

Old Group / New pen.

Image0128.jpg

New Fem.

Image0122.jpg

New Fem.

Image0121.jpg

New Fem.

Image0125.jpg

New Male.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
REDFOOTMATT said:
REDFOOTMATT said:
t_mclellan said:
My Yellows don't even seemed interested in boiled chicken breasts. The Reds scarffed it. Guess I should try the Trout Chow. They appear healthy and heavy, I'm just concearned I'm not getting enough protein. They seem very different than the Reds in this respect.
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Gorgeous animals. Mine don't have as big of an enclosure as yours. It is 40' x 10'. It has good cover and they roam and show much breeding activity. The Reds have a separate enclosure of similar size. I'm working on planting it up with edible cover also. I have had them around 10 months and the eggs have not been viable. I've been doing the just like the Red's eggs which I have good success with. I probably just need to get them established. They are fully mature. Any tips on the incubating differences between the two? I will try to post pics when I figure out why it says file too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.