Yellowfoot localities and breeders

Bruh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I am very much leaning towards getting a Yellow Footed tortoise in the future, but information seems to be rather scarce for them in comparison to the reds. Not sure if I'll ever breed them in the future, but if I did, I know that I'd prefer to stick with a certain locality of yellowfoots rather than mix localities.

Does anyone have any information on the differences(if there are any) of yellowfoots from different localities? and does anyone know of any yellowfoot breeders that keep and breed specific localities of yellowfoots?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They ARE less common. I've seen many hundreds of Redfoot here locally, yet I can still count on one hand the number of Yellowfoot I've seen. And all of those were reported to be wild caught rather than farmed.
I wish you luck.

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
They ARE less common. I've seen many hundreds of Redfoot here locally, yet I can still count on one hand the number of Yellowfoot I've seen. And all of those were reported to be wild caught rather than farmed.
I wish you luck.

Thanks

Anyone else have any info?

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I just happen to surfing on line yesterday and found this web site offering Yellow foots, ( http://www.theturtlesource.com/i.as...ed-Tortoises&gclid=CJ7_oq6NjscCFdgZgQodNngMOQ ) I was considering a companion for the one I inherited back in February, She was barley a 1lb at 5.5" and 3 or 4yrs old. Today she is 2.41lbs and 7.5".

Yeah I've been looking around for yellowfoots as well. I might email those guys at the turtlesource to see if they'll be getting any "amazon basin" yellowfoots soon.

And wow! did your yellowfoot grow 2 inches in about 5-6 months? Impressive. I hear people say that they are usually slow growers, but perhaps yours had a nice growth spurt in your great care.

BaconandEggs

Northern California
I got both my RF and YF from a local chain of stores who has a breeding farm in town. I'm not sure if they would ship to Hawaii but they might know of YF sources or breeders out there. I bought both of mine a few months apart when they were each about 2 months old and very healthy with no issues for either in the 2+ years I've had them. I will say that my YF has all the classic signs of the breed, she is shy (but getting better), less active and just prefers that I let her sleep, eat and soak all day. My RF follows me everywhere I go and has no fear at all!

http://www.snakemuseum.com/145-tortoises

Bruh

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I got both my RF and YF from a local chain of stores who has a breeding farm in town. I'm not sure if they would ship to Hawaii but they might know of YF sources or breeders out there. I bought both of mine a few months apart when they were each about 2 months old and very healthy with no issues for either in the 2+ years I've had them. I will say that my YF has all the classic signs of the breed, she is shy (but getting better), less active and just prefers that I let her sleep, eat and soak all day. My RF follows me everywhere I go and has no fear at all!

http://www.snakemuseum.com/145-tortoises

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll check em out. Beautiful torts btw.