yellow foots and swimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickwack

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Today I decided to test again if my yellow foots could swim. I had tried in the past, and the smaller one was an excellent swimmer, but Olivia which when I got her was in pretty bad shape would just sink immediately. There is also a newer addition that was untested before, her name is Sandy.

Tests were interesting. Initially none of the torts could swim, I placed them gently on the water and they would all start to sink. I did not wait much to bring them afloat since I do not have much knowledge.

After a few tries my small tort which has swam before started swimming with ease, she could actually just sit the and float which was pretty amazing.

The second largest, Olivia, has improved remarkably since the first trial a few months ago. She was moving her legs and was almost staying a float but surely drowning during her attempt. It still was a vast improvement.

The largest and newest addition Sandy, she just sank like a rock... much like Olivia did a few months ago. She is probably the least beat up of the 3, her shell is almost flawless as well, so not sure why the differences.

Do you guys have any thoughts?? I cant explain why they cant all swim.. I have even gone as far as thinking that perhaps if they get some water in their lungs their average density will decrease and they may come afloat? perhaps they have a special organ that fills up with water and brings them up?? I would not know this because I don't let them breathe much water...

Please let me know if you have any experience with yellow foots or red foots swimming... thanks!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I've heard of certain species having an "air pouch" that allows them to float, as yellow foots and red foots naturally swim in the wild...Perhaps, there has to be a need for it first, such as being dunked in water a few times, for the pouch to inflate? Just a random, crazy though really....I've had many hatchlings that swim, and a few sinkers, so its a very interesting thought. Sinkers and swimmers in the same clutch, also. But all of my adults can swim....Very interesting thought.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Most can swim when healthy and structurally sound. Your Olivia was compromised. Every last one of mine has been able to swim from hatchlings to adults starting to approach two feet long. A number of different body types. A number of different lines and origins.

They just have to enter with their lungs full and then maintain regulated breathing that is more shallow with the head and neck held at a proper position. Panic tends to screw this up.

I have seen the following tortoise species swim in person: sulcata, pardalis, emys, denticulata, carbonaria, gigantea, nigra, elegans, and radiata

I have seen a lot of drowned Testudo species in the wild. Some individuals are better at handling water than others, it would seem.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
Most can swim when healthy and structurally sound. Your Olivia was compromised. Every last one of mine has been able to swim from hatchlings to adults starting to approach two feet long. A number of different body types. A number of different lines and origins.

They just have to enter with their lungs full and then maintain regulated breathing that is more shallow with the head and neck held at a proper position. Panic tends to screw this up.

I have seen the following tortoise species swim in person: sulcata, pardalis, emys, denticulata, carbonaria, gigantea, nigra, elegans, and radiata

I have seen a lot of drowned Testudo species in the wild. Some individuals are better at handling water than others, it would seem.

Very interesting...I had a hatchling once that for some reason, hatched with a sort of "pinch" in his front-most vertebral scute. I know some are like this, but it just didn't seem quite...Natural? He could never swim, until around 6-7 months, then just one day could...Very odd.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is a Wild Leopard Tortoise in Namibia…. they are actually a very efficient and avid swimmer -
leoswim.png

*Courtesy of National Geographic

JD~:)

wickwack

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Here is a Wild Leopard Tortoise in Namibia…. they are actually a very efficient and avid swimmer -
leoswim.png

great pic!!! Hopefully one day I can take pictures of them swimming and chilling like that leopard.

Baoh, you speak of body types and lines, where can I read more about the subject? could you share some of that info with me?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My red foot can swim i have two out door enclosures side by side the first one has a 100 gal pond for my gold fish and red ear slider i have a gate that goes to the red foots side i watched the red foot walk over climb up the water fall and jump/ fall in and before i could get to her she swam out and i have seen box turtles. Swim across ponds they just kick there legs and float funny to see the red foot swimming they don't seem to have a plan or route in place its like they walk in and go o crap i can' t touch and kick to they can walk out

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
wickwack said:
Baoh, you speak of body types and lines, where can I read more about the subject? could you share some of that info with me?

I do not know if there is any literature reference available.

Types are body types and vary with locale and individual. Some are higher domed or have stronger slopes to the carapace. Some are flatter. Some have more marginal flaring. Some are broader. Some are slimmer. Despite differences, I have seen all types swim.

Lines are bloodlines.

As a tangent unrelated to swimming, I have seen multiple "giants" which have unusual or irregular prefrontal scales. Most are typically paired and elongated, but I have seen more than a few with broken or RF-like configurations. Odd.

abclements

5 Year Member
I read this thread and had to try it on my 6 month hatchling. After a little coaxing, he swam perfectly! I thought it was pretty cool!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Well, it is known that most all rainforest torts can swim, but I can personally testify large sulcatas cannot swim....My 120lb sulcata ended up in a pool once. Long story short, got out of the pen....Luckily he was found within minutes, running along the bottom of the pool. Most terrifying moment in my tortoise history :(.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Not sure I would classify this as a rain forest tortoise ... but again , another "wild" Adult Leo swimming .....
3_1279735863_swimming-leopard-tortoise-1.jpg

JD~

jwang1983

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
leoswim.png

interesting

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
So, Leos like swimming. Maybe it's because that parts of their habitat is so dry when they come accross water they will just throw themselves in.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
FLINTUS said:
So, Leos like swimming. Maybe it's because that parts of their habitat is so dry when they come accross water they will just throw themselves in.

Or, they think they are having a mirage and just keep walking, and then end up in the water, thus learning how to swim. Just a thought :).

Richard Gere's Ears

5 Year Member
Ive personally seen Gopherus Polyphemus swim with ease during my youth in southeast Florida. In fact, they often soak in water most people would consider too deep for their pet redfoot. The trade off; ive seen alligators make meals out of swimming Gophers and Florida box turtles. In the canals and ponds, they are sitting ducks.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Fascinating. I've never seen, or had Toby in a position to swim. Her wallowing area and when she's soaked is never really deep enough or big enough to actually swim much. Perhaps I shall see if she likes it. Would it be okay to fill up the tub and let her in it?

Seems like a blast and a good photo op.

Status
Not open for further replies.