Yellow foot temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have done a lot of reading in the threads and can see that the watery eyes my yellowfoot has is because of deyhydration and not enough humidity.

What i didn't read was a clear specification of the temps my yellowfoots enclosure should be at. I have just altered the environment so that it is a ventilated/climate controlled enclosure, but need to know what the humidity/temp should be.... is there a general concensus????

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I keep mine in a greenhouse with the following:

Low Humidity-68%
High Humidity-100%

Low Temps-75
High Temps-92

They do very very well in these temps/humidity levels. I have noticed in the past keeping without greenhouse environment they start getting stagnant activity around 50% or lower humidity and below 70 degrees.

turtletania

5 Year Member
and the watery eyes? My yellowfoot is eating well, soaking well... wandering around, but looks like s/he is "crying"... I have now changed the environment and the temps are now: temp and humid - 75 - 85.....

The temp was always 85, but the humid had been low... about 60%...

Is there anything else I should do. I put in a different water bowl and s/he got right into it and is sitting there. Should I just leave s/he there and should I be worried at anytime?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmmm yeah watery eyes usually indicates they are too dry. Its tricky this time of year too and in full on winter because it may seem humid but its really dry. Humidity has to variables, Warm hot moisture and cold dry moisture. This time of season if gets the cold dry moisture type of humidity. All I can say is boost it as much as possible. The vicks room humidifiers work pretty good. You could add one of those to the room or enclosure. Should take a few days for them to subside the dry crying though. So keep up the humidity and see what happens over the next few days. I know yellow foots like it very humid and temperatuer cooler than others but not too cool.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I live in Borneo right on the equator... we have no fluctuation of temperatures throughout the year... maybe 1 or 2 degrees at most.

I now have the humidity at 94% and sitting steady.... the temp is still at 85 and sitting steady... I hope this new "climate" will help "Nipper".

I have a small humidifier I am using... working great.

I have noticed an increase in activity just in the last hour... so that has to be a good sign, doesn't it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ohhh ok. yeah Borneo isn't going to get anything like the southern United States. Sounds great. usually they will become very active when happy and subtle surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.